IGNORED

Movie Debate #25: Blade Runner

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • I haven't seen the movie, but I'm interested in watching it
    • No interest in watching it

14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

image.png

I guess MOTU and Pee Wee's Big Adventure fall into the "you had to be there" camp of movies that had a big following from kids at the time, for their theater run, had limited VHS rental success... and then went completely dormant until somewhere in the bargain-bin DVD life cycle.

So if you were too young to see them in theaters, and didn't have older siblings who would have wanted to rent them within the 3 - 5 years after... could have gone a good long time without even knowing they existed 😛

55 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I guess MOTU and Pee Wee's Big Adventure fall into the "you had to be there" camp of movies that had a big following from kids at the time, for their theater run, had limited VHS rental success... and then went completely dormant until somewhere in the bargain-bin DVD life cycle.

So if you were too young to see them in theaters, and didn't have older siblings who would have wanted to rent them within the 3 - 5 years after... could have gone a good long time without even knowing they existed 😛

I saw both. Pee Wee's Big Adventure had its moments. MOTU not so much.

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Ha!  Well, I was prime age for MOTU, so I LOVED it (but yes, rewatching it as an adult you can see the flaws pretty clearly 😛 )

I saw it as a kid and it just seemed way different than the cartoon. Maybe it was just because it was live action. I haven't rewatched it since then.

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I saw it as a kid and it just seemed way different than the cartoon. Maybe it was just because it was live action. I haven't rewatched it since then.

Oh, yeah, it was way different than the cartoon.  Though I rewatched the entire cartoon series with my kids about a year ago, and THAT is pretty different (in a bad way) from what I remembered, so it was probably good they didn't try too hard to be true to the source material 😛

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Oh, yeah, it was way different than the cartoon.  Though I rewatched the entire cartoon series with my kids about a year ago, and THAT is pretty different (in a bad way) from what I remembered, so it was probably good they didn't try too hard to be true to the source material 😛

I haven't rewatched any of it and I'll just take that as a good thing.

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Excerpt from Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner by Paul M. Sammon telling the first reaction of Philip K. Dick when he saw a reel of rushes of the film (he did never saw the released movie as he unfortunately died before) :

"I got a call from one of the ladies at the [Blade Runner] production department saying that Philip K. Dick was coming down at three in the afternoon for a screening," [David] Dryer recalls, [one of Blade Runner's special effects chief]. "She told me to assemble an effects reel showing the best of the best. So I did. I planned on showing it to Dick in EEG's screening room, which was pretty remarkable. Doug Trumbull had one of the best screening rooms I've ever seen. The image on that screen was spectacular—it was in 70mm—and a great sound system had been installed that made the floor rumble.

"Now, Vangelis hadn't supplied any music yet, but Matthew Yuricich had been painting some of his mattes to old Vangelis albums—Matt likes to paint to music. Since we were already familiar with that, we decided to also play Vangelis music while we showed our reel to Dick.

"Then the production rented out a chauffeured limousine to pick up Philip Dick in Santa Ana," continues Dryer. "They were really giving him the deluxe treatment. That limo drove him all the way up to Maxella, and when he arrived at EEG, I noticed Dick had brought a woman along with him [Wilson]. I could also tell right away that Dick was unhappy; he acted like somebody with a burr up their ass. First he started kind of grilling me in this grouchy tone about all kinds of things—he wanted to know what was going on, told me that he'd been very unhappy with the script, and so on and so forth.

"So first we gave him a quick tour of the EEG shop, which I thought might settle him down. But Dick didn't seem impressed, even when we showed him all the preproduction art and the actual models we'd used for certain effects shots. (Then, after Dick and Ridley had a meeting), we went into the screening room."

"Dick was a bit guarded at first," recalls Ridley Scott. "Until we doused the lights, turned up the music, and ran the reel for him," adds Dryer.

However, according to Blade Runner's coeffects supervisor, "Dick didn't say a word at first. He sat there for twenty minutes like a statue. Then the lights came up, and Philip K. Dick turned around to me. He said in this gruff voice, 'Can you run that again?' So the projectionist rethreaded and ran it again.

"Now the lights come up a second time. Dick looks me straight in the eye and says, 'How is this possible? How can this be? Those are not the exact images, but the texture and tone of the images I saw in my head when I was writing the original book! The environment is exactly as how I'd imagined it! How'd you guys do that? How did you know what I was feeling and thinking?!'

"Let me tell you, that was one of the most successful moments of my career," Dryer concludes. "Dick went away dazed."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1