IGNORED

Game Debate #5: Fortnite

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

71 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested
    • Never played it, never will

Events Team · Posted

Gotta come back to this one.  I am still not really playing it, but in light of the last season and now the current season, I have to admit that Fortnite is actually pretty cool.  Last season focused on Marvel characters and had a pretty neat storyline involving Galactus.  And the new season is is all about the Mandalorian.  I can definitely see why my kid likes it.  If I was 10 it would likely be my favorite current game.  I'd probably upgrade my vote from a 4 to a 5 at this point.  I'd like to get @ChickenTendas' or @Makar's take on the recent seasons.

It also recently dawned on me that "Fortnite" is more of a play on words reflecting the fort building aspect of the game rather than just a misspelling of fortnight for trademark purposes.

21 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

It also recently dawned on me that "Fortnite" is more of a play on words reflecting the fort building aspect of the game rather than just a misspelling of fortnight for trademark purposes.

As I understand it, the "original" survival mode (the one that nobody plays, ironically) was inspired by the whole Minecraft "the creepers come at night" concept. So, you and your friends are tasked with building up a "fort" strong enough to withstand the waves of enemies that are coming and survive the "night/nite". But since everybody just plays the Battle Royale mode, some of that message is lost.

I gave it a 2/10. I tried to play it but after only 2-3 hours worth, I found the gameplay unbearable. Even just the fact that it was 3rd-person rather than 1st-person put a real damper on my ability to enjoy it. I've tried a few other "battle royale" games as well and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the format overall. Apex was slightly more tolerable but only slightly. I got about 5 hours out of Apex before I was sick of it.

If I'm playing a multiplayer shooter, I'd much rather do something like Quake/Unreal (for retro) or TF2/Overwatch (for more contemporary).

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

As I understand it, the "original" survival mode (the one that nobody plays, ironically) was inspired by the whole Minecraft "the creepers come at night" concept. So, you and your friends are tasked with building up a "fort" strong enough to withstand the waves of enemies that are coming and survive the "night/nite". But since everybody just plays the Battle Royale mode, some of that message is lost.

I gave it a 2/10. I tried to play it but after only 2-3 hours worth, I found the gameplay unbearable. Even just the fact that it was 3rd-person rather than 1st-person put a real damper on my ability to enjoy it. I've tried a few other "battle royale" games as well and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the format overall. Apex was slightly more tolerable but only slightly. I got about 5 hours out of Apex before I was sick of it.

If I'm playing a multiplayer shooter, I'd much rather do something like Quake/Unreal (for retro) or TF2/Overwatch (for more contemporary).

Apex didn't get fun for me until I learned the weapons better and I found a character I really enjoyed. The learning curve for that game is WAY too steep in my opinion. You die so fast that it's just not fair for new players. Also, the gear system is unnecessarily complex.

If you ever want to try the game again, try to unlock Revenant (I rarely played for a couple months, but still earned enough resources to unlock him for free). His regular ability is basically a grenade which is much preferable to having to change out your weapon for the standard grenades. Even better, his special ability, the Totem, allows you to actually run out and fight people so you can enjoy the excellent gunplay. If you die after activating the Totem, you just respawn and get to keep playing with no shields. He totally changed the game for me and made it way more fun.

Feel free to hit me up if you ever want to play. I am on Xbox, but there might be crossplay parties?

49 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Gotta come back to this one.  I am still not really playing it, but in light of the last season and now the current season, I have to admit that Fortnite is actually pretty cool.  Last season focused on Marvel characters and had a pretty neat storyline involving Galactus.  And the new season is is all about the Mandalorian.  I can definitely see why my kid likes it.  If I was 10 it would likely be my favorite current game.  I'd probably upgrade my vote from a 4 to a 5 at this point.  I'd like to get @ChickenTendas' or @Makar's take on the recent seasons.

I really enjoyed the last season actually. Definitely abused the whole hacking the robots thing so that you had extra teammates. I also liked going to doom or iron man to get good weapons in the vault or the light machine guns. The only thing I didn't like was when they did that weird zombie thing for a week around Halloween. I have only played 3 matches of season 5 so far. It's decent. I'm sure it'll grow on me but I miss the helicopters already. I tend to land in the Hunter's haven area and get the tactical ARs. I got 12 kills in my first match pretty much solely with those.

Also, for anyone who doesn't like Fortnite just because of the building, don't build. I very rarely ever build because it gives your position away. I'll only build if it's absolutely necessary to get from point A to point B. I win a good amount of my matches too WITHOUT building. I've played a lot of CoD and the shooting aspects of Fortnite are good. No complaints there. Is it CoD, no. Is it very fun yes, and I enjoy playing with my friends and family. 

I don't care for it for the same reason I don't care for Halo.  By the time I played it, everyone was basically a pro and I just died a bunch.  Zero fun.  I know I should "get good" but I don't care to.  I would rather play other games and enjoy them

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 1

I remember when the original "Fortnite: Save The World" co-op game came out. That seemed like an interesting game.

Tried playing Battle Royale a bit, don't care for it. Also is kind of the epitome of the direction Triple A games seem to be going being "Free 2 Play" with all the micro-transaction bullshit in it. Seems alright as a concept but not my thing. Gave it a 4/10

On 12/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, Code Monkey said:

When this got released on the Switch, I tried it out to see what all the hype was about. I ran around trying to find people to kill but couldn't find anyone. Then this purple cloud passed by me and I died for no reason, haven't played that awful game since.

That was me the first time I played it. I was like wtf is going on where are the guns. Once you play 2 or 3 times you get the gist of it. The purple cloud is the storm. It forces you to a new area so that you can't just camp the whole game. Think of Fortnite as video game hunger games.

13 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I remember when the original "Fortnite: Save The World" co-op game came out. That seemed like an interesting game.

Tried playing Battle Royale a bit, don't care for it. Also is kind of the epitome of the direction Triple A games seem to be going being "Free 2 Play" with all the micro-transaction bullshit in it. Seems alright as a concept but not my thing. Gave it a 4/10

I don't like micro transactions either but buying stuff in Fortnite gives you zero advantage in the game. And they actually give you game currency (vbucks) for free to buy stuff. I've purchased 3 battle passes now all for free from the in game vbucks they give you. Haven't spent a dime on this and never will but I reap all the same benefits as those who do pay. Free game with no ads and I get free in game currency to buy stuff? Yes please. Micro transactions done right imo.

• 1 month later...

We got the switch for christmas and I picked up the Fortnite and haven't put it down yet. In my late teens it was N64 bond, and mercy was that a good time. But... what if it could be expanded to a whole world with more players? Enter, very very late to the game, fortnite. 

Right now, I believe you can make it to level 100 (quests every week force a player to explore different parts of the island) and you reap 1500 vbucks? Something like that- more than the 950v for a pass, so it's rewarding players who play and explore- the OLD way of doing things! 

Anyway, I'm looking for players for Duo/Quad play... my handle is NeverSlapAFatDog

pew pew pew

On 7/10/2020 at 8:19 AM, noiseredux said:

2/10 for me.

I find the battle royale genre interesting in concept. But I've had trouble really enjoying it personally. I played Fortnite once with my buddy and his two kids online, and it didn't go great. It was a lot of the like the two kids (early teens) yelling at me "pick that up!" "what are you doing?!?!" "no not that gun!" and me just repeating "I've never played this before, I don't know what I'm doing!"

The experience was sort of similar to the one time I dabbled in PUBG and the one time I dabbled in Apex Legends. The games just didn't click with me. I think I can see WHY some people get really into them. I found the experience(s) a bit too stressful, though.

I do think that some of the Fortnite content is INTERESTING (not saying 'good' or 'bad'), such as recently showing movies in-game or having concerts or whatever. It's interesting because the game itself has become such a social experience.

It's also interesting that "Fortnite" has become ubiquitous with "gaming" the way that Minecraft did before it, and the way that Super Mario Bros did long before that.

I don't know. Fortnite isn't for me, but I understand why people are into it I guess.

This thread got bumped, so it's funny for me to read this now because somewhat embarrassingly (?) it turns out that Fortnite ended up being my most played Switch game in 2020. Somehow, it ended up clicking and I had a lot of fun with it for a few months. I never bought any skins or spent any money on it, and I'm probably 'done' with it now, but I was able to find the fun in it for a while there.

My youngest son plays Fortnite all the time so the urge to play rubs off on me and I have been playing several matches a week on and off for the past year on the switch.  I thought I was pretty good.  I can get wins on a somewhat regular basis, but that is on the switch playing against Switch and mobile players.  I recently won a PS5 from Burger King and wow the level of competition in the PS/XB lobbies is much higher- I get my ass kicked.