IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

23 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Not really seeing the racism here. The gist of the article seems to be the following, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

A journalist for the Wall Street Journal went on holiday to visit his family. Whilst on holiday, he decides to wear street clothes and then fart around outside of a bank to get scoop for a new story. Bank employees don't know him from Adam, he explains what he is doing, but since the behavior is abnormal and the man is not local, he eventually ends up in handcuffs. Race could be black, white, yellow, purple, etc - I mean, any random person loitering around a building, who the hell knows what the intention might be, no matter what they might claim.

Now for actual racism though, I saw this one the other day.

X-Cube in Taichung, Taiwan refuses entry to white males | Taiwan News | 2023-01-07 20:06:00

On 1/7/2023 at 10:13 AM, fcgamer said:

Not really seeing the racism here. The gist of the article seems to be the following, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

A journalist for the Wall Street Journal went on holiday to visit his family. Whilst on holiday, he decides to wear street clothes and then fart around outside of a bank to get scoop for a new story. Bank employees don't know him from Adam, he explains what he is doing, but since the behavior is abnormal and the man is not local, he eventually ends up in handcuffs. Race could be black, white, yellow, purple, etc - I mean, any random person loitering around a building, who the hell knows what the intention might be, no matter what they might claim.

Now for actual racism though, I saw this one the other day.

X-Cube in Taichung, Taiwan refuses entry to white males | Taiwan News | 2023-01-07 20:06:00

You're so fucking intentionally obtuse it is ridiculous.

• Haha 1

The U.S. has thwarted Putin’s energy blackmail. Europe says ‘Tanks a lot!’

https://fortune.com/2023/01/11/us-putin-energy-blackmail-europe-tanks-biden-ukraine-sonnenfeld-tian/

The White House is proudly trumpeting the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years and falling commodity prices–but they have more to be proud of on the economic front.

The days of Vladimir Putin’s energy blackmail driving up energy prices and testing Western unity are quickly coming to a close amidst a string of underappreciated but significant energy victories for the Biden Administration, ranging from bringing down gasoline prices for drivers to supplying enough LNG to keep Europe warm this winter.

So... where are all the Republicans/Trumpers who were discussing gasoline Armageddon?? Maybe they are busy eating some crow with their "Thanks Joe Biden" shirts!

• Agree 1

Things are getting bad here in Nebraska. They introduced a bill (hopefully won't pass) to ban children under age 19/21 from attending drag shows. The big problem is that if you read the bill, it basically defines any show that a trans person participates in as a drag show. For example, if you went to see a play at the theater, and one of the actors was trans, it would be considered a drag show by definition in this bill, and children would be barred from attending. Bringing one would be a class 1 misdemeanor. 

I will never understand why people are not allowed to just live their lives. 

https://www.klkntv.com/nebraska-state-senator-proposes-banning-minors-from-attending-drag-shows/

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Things are getting bad here in Nebraska. They introduced a bill (hopefully won't pass) to ban children under age 19/21 from attending drag shows. The big problem is that if you read the bill, it basically defines any show that a trans person participates in as a drag show. For example, if you went to see a play at the theater, and one of the actors was trans, it would be considered a drag show by definition in this bill, and children would be barred from attending. Bringing one would be a class 1 misdemeanor. 

I will never understand why people are not allowed to just live their lives. 

https://www.klkntv.com/nebraska-state-senator-proposes-banning-minors-from-attending-drag-shows/

Ugh.  A cohort of big fucking hairy dudes in mini skirts needs to be at every single school board meeting, church service,  wedding, funeral, small town bar, grocery store, ice cream shop, your mom’s relaxing bath, etc .  These bastards will never stop.

https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/after-school-satan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Ugh.  A cohort of big fucking hairy dudes in mini skirts needs to be at every single school board meeting, church service,  wedding, funeral, small town bar, grocery store, ice cream shop, your mom’s relaxing bath, etc .  These bastards will never stop.

https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/after-school-satan

You are referring to the satanic temple as a positive response or different viewpoint, right?

So...

$5 million for each longtime Black resident? S.F. has a bold reparations plan to consider

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/justinphillips/article/sf-reparations-black-17716918.php

This is estimated to cost around $50 billion, at least. SF's budget is some $14 billion but expecting a shortfall of over $700 million this year. Anyway, corollary to the reparations include -

*lump sum payment (couldn't find more info beyond that)
*low-income households have their income supplemented to match the city's median income for the next 250 years
*debts forgiven, including housing and student loans

How do people feel about this? Clearly, this proposal has supporters. It also has opponents. Honestly, in my mind, this is unconstitutional and frankly, asinine. If someone wants to convince me otherwise I'm listening...

Your article link is locked behind a pay wall. But my thoughts on it anyways- this is a rough draft proposal that was leaked to the press for a committee on reparations. Not even final. Of course they are going to recommend reparations, however its a non starter and not even remotely realistic. To me, it was purposely released to try and drive a right wing fury about it., I can’t wait for Fox news to talk about it for weeks.

It is nice to see people start to discuss it though. Even though San Francisco does have a racist past it’s nothing like what happened in the south were they literally committed treason to try and keep people as slaves in the Civil War. Hey at least someone is trying. 

5 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Your article link is locked behind a pay wall. But my thoughts on it anyways- this is a rough draft proposal that was leaked to the press for a committee on reparations. Not even final. Of course they are going to recommend reparations, however its a non starter and not even remotely realistic. To me, it was purposely released to try and drive a right wing fury about it., I can’t wait for Fox news to talk about it for weeks.

It is nice to see people start to discuss it though. Even though San Francisco does have a racist past it’s nothing like what happened in the south were they literally committed treason to try and keep people as slaves in the Civil War. Hey at least someone is trying. 

Did not occur to me that it was leaked for nefarious political reasons, but that does make sense.

Many have already noted how the proposal is just unattainable - you would think the committee would start with a number that's realistic, but hey, I'm not a politician... let me ask you, if you don't mind. What do you think is reasonable? As you pointed out, SF with all its faults was a welcoming place to many. I saw a documentary on Jews in America and frankly the discrimination against them was nothing like what it was in Europe - which is why they came! That said, they certainly faced, and still are, some discrimination. However, SF was a place they were welcomed like other immigrants. It's a special city.

Also, here's something cute 🙂

Biden calls in Ghostburger order, leaves employee speechless

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2023/01/18/biden-ghostburger-order/

Neither of Ghostburger's owners told Spaddy who was calling. They just said an "important phone call was coming in today," Spaddy said. She thought it might be D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser or some pop-culture figure. She was not expecting the president.

That may explain her reaction, which recalls a more innocent time, when a sitting American president could inspire something close to awe instead of an emotionally fraught tweet meant to signal your tribe. When Biden called sometime after 1 p.m. Tuesday, Spaddy just . . . well, she just froze.

"I got a little star-struck when I answered the phone, and I'm normally not like this," she said. "Because I heard the voice, and I'm like, 'No way! No way! No way!'"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Did not occur to me that it was leaked for nefarious political reasons, but that does make sense.

Many have already noted how the proposal is just unattainable - you would think the committee would start with a number that's realistic, but hey, I'm not a politician... let me ask you, if you don't mind. What do you think is reasonable? As you pointed out, SF with all its faults was a welcoming place to many. I saw a documentary on Jews in America and frankly the discrimination against them was nothing like what it was in Europe - which is why they came! That said, they certainly faced, and still are, some discrimination. However, SF was a place they were welcomed like other immigrants. It's a special city.

Zero. Nothing.  Not that I don’t believe in reparations, but the money needs to come from any existing estates that benefited from chattel slavery.

This “draft” is nonsense. Do African Americans that dont fall under the “rules” have to pay for others reparations? What about the first generation chinese person that moved here 20 years ago? Do they have to pay for it? My paternal great grandparents immigrated here from Sweden, and Maternal grandparents from Ireland. My bloodline had nothing to do with slavery in the american south, why should I pay?

For the record I think this was “leaked” by the committee to drum up controversy. Basically the left wing version of outrage culture, similar to this: https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkqm7/texas-republican-abortion-fetal-tissue-food-bill

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Zero. Nothing.  Not that I don’t believe in reparations, but the money needs to come from any existing estates that benefited from chattel slavery.

This “draft” is nonsense. Do African Americans that dont fall under the “rules” have to pay for others reparations? What about the first generation chinese person that moved here 20 years ago? Do they have to pay for it? My paternal great grandparents immigrated here from Sweden, and Maternal grandparents from Ireland. My bloodline had nothing to do with slavery in the american south, why should I pay?

For the record I think this was “leaked” by the committee to drum up controversy. Basically the left wing version of outrage culture, similar to this: https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjkqm7/texas-republican-abortion-fetal-tissue-food-bill

Sounds like you're white. That's enough reason to be paying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...