IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

18 hours ago, ChTe said:

Yeah, I can tell you're not an American with this one lol. I don't expect you to be informed on our news, our institutions, and the positions of our political parties. If you were, I reckon you'd be among a very small minority.

Coincidentally, many of our own citizens aren't even informed on daily happenings in Washington or even fundamental details of government structure. Less than half of Americans can name the three branches of the federal government. Less than a quarter of Americans are aware that the First Amendment guarantees freedom of religion.

I also don't think it's a huge surprise that Trump has a huge lead among disengaged voters, who largely do not follow political news, according to an April NBC News poll. Maybe you can argue that the news media is corrupting minds, meaning that uninformed voters are actually the ones who are "right." To that, I have no argument. Believe what you want to believe. But I'm sure you at least find it a little concerning that people who couldn't name more than two decisions from the last Supreme Court session are also deciding on who is most qualified to nominate those Supreme Court justices.

image.png.f59c3b8d2881cf126cd19e97ac382c11.png

Isn't it great how so many of the arguments for another Trump administration rely on an elementary understanding of subject matter? It's like some Brexit shit, again.

Now I don't expect you to respond to this, but is it perhaps possible that the President & his cabinet are not responsible for record high inflation? Could there have been another contributing factor that led to increased manufacturing and transportation costs? Maybe a decrease in supply of the world's largest energy source? Is it possible that one of the largest producers of that energy source is currently at war? Is it also possible that they are at war with, surprise!, another major energy producer? I wonder if this has anything to do with inflation? Surely not...

Anecdotally, whenever I'm around Republican family I am constantly subjected to bad takes about how "Bidenomics" have created this whole inflation thing, and if Trump was in office, none of these prices would have gone up. If I ever poke and prod, I usually get some grumbles about "deficit spending" and "national debt" or whatnot. Interesting to note that Trump increased the debt by more than half of what Biden did. He actually accumulated more debt in three years of office than Biden is on track to accumulate in a full term. If you want to go there, we can go there. I personally don't like this way of thinking though. It's my belief that the effect of presidential and even legislative policies on the economy are very much overstated.

It's also funny to pretend that Biden controls prices in other countries 🤣 We'll use the EU is as a comparison to the US in terms of output and quality of life. How is it that the EU both had higher peak inflation and took longer to come down from that peak? Is that Biden's doing? Again, I don't subscribe to the belief that the entire economy is A) controlled by the President and B) responds instantaneously to any of the President's actions, but if I did, I'd be inclined to give Biden his flowers here.

Actually, @JamesRobot, maybe it's easier to just get the opinion of someone who lives outside America. What does someone like @Sumez think about all that damn inflation Biden's caused in Denmark?

image.png.04df8e3731b4051654676ccf5d385316.png

[Key: Blue line for US, dashed gray for Eurozone]

But Trump's gonna make 'Murica great again...    isn't he???     🤔     🤷‍♂️

Oh yeah,  I just remembered: none of what you typed actually matters at all because the USA is not a democracy and the popular vote doesn't elect your head of state...   😲...   😉

• 2 weeks later...

Horrible... to say the least

At least 4 killed in Georgia high school shooting, sources say

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/apalachee-high-school-shooting-georgia-09-04-24/index.html

At least four people were killed in a shooting at Apalachee High School in Winder, Georgia, according to law enforcement sources out of the state. About 30 more were injured, although it’s unclear how many of the injuries are from gunshot wounds, the sources said.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:25 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I feel like every single blue vote in November across the country will be decidely a vote against Trump rather than an actual vote for Kamala.

I'm not sure what kind of point you think you're making here, but if it's "great", there are people that it doesn't apply to and people it does. There absolutely are people voting "for" Harris (or in the past, Biden, or Clinton.) And people who aren't have been saying so ourselves for years. 

On 8/10/2024 at 10:25 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Seriously, do you even care about what's happened to your country in the last four years

Effects go back further than you seem willing to see. 

On 8/23/2024 at 2:44 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

But Trump's gonna make 'Murica great again...    isn't he???     🤔     🤷‍♂️

Is that what you think or isn't it?

On 8/17/2024 at 4:34 AM, ChTe said:

Also, I would argue nationwide polling doesn't mean much. The Harris/Walz ticket will win the popular vote by several million. A Republican presidential nominee hasn't won that shit in my lifetime lol. What matters are where those votes come from, and Harris is ahead of where Clinton was at the end of her campaign in many key swing states (for now).

Wow, you're quite young then. 

24 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Wow, you're quite young then. 

Young by our standards haha W won the popular in 2004 no? All the hype around Harris/Walz and how far ahead they are doesn’t mean shit - go out and vote for them if that is who you want in office. Same shit happened to Hilary in 2016, learn a lesson lol

Edited by a3quit4s

33 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Young by our standards haha W won the popular in 2004 no? All the hype around Harris/Walz and how far ahead they are doesn’t mean shit - go out and vote for them if that is who you want in office. Same shit happened to Hilary in 2016, learn a lesson lol

Yeah, that's my point though, the wording sounds a deceptive considering as it just happened a few presidencies ago, it's not as though we're talking about something occurring in the eighties or sixties. Furthermore, as it did occur in 2004, and here we are twenty years later, the other poster is just barely of age to vote or younger, and couldn't vote in the past election.

It's all about how you frame it folks!