IGNORED

PS2 Prince of Persia Games?

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

I wasn't planning on it, but ended up picking up a small lot of PS2 games which included all 3 PoP games. My original plan was to just resell them to offset costs, but I seem to recall my brother liking them back in the day, while I never tried them myself. So now I'm thinking hey - I have them all, hard part done, maybe I give em a go.

Curious if anyone here has played them, and what you thought? Good games? 

Crazy good games, a highlight of that generation IMO. And especially at the time they were a really nice breath of fresh air (before every game had to have parkour in them)

The first game is just solid good fun with a nice arabian nights tone to it.
The second game got a bit of a backlash from changing its tone to annoyingly dark and edgy, but honestly looking past that I think it's an even better game than the first (it has an interesting level design where you revisit the same areas as they lap over eachother, and get to explore abit - the two other games are much more linear), and it fits the continuity of the two games pretty well despite the tonal shift. Both are must plays IMO.

The third, while still a good game, feels probably a little tired at that point. It's not too memorable, but if you play the first two and like them, you might just as well play them all.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

They're all pretty great but the first one has the best tone and theme in comparison to the original PoP.  Don't know why they had to be rated M for the second and third entries.  The time mechanic is top notch. 

Edge!

On 7/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

First one is great.  Second is very fun, but has a few things I wasn't crazy about.  Haven't gotten around to the third one.

3D platforming before these games = Tomb Raider

3D platforming after these games = every game you see nowadays

I think your “3D platforming” summary is a little bit oversimplified. 

Tomb Raider is more your 3D platformer shooting games. 

Then there are 3D platformers in the Mario mould eg. Ratchet, Jak/Daxter games.

The Prince of Persia series are your 3D platformer action types like Shenmue and Ninja Gaiden. 

I would say on the PS2, the Prince of Persia series would be one of the best gaming trilogies in the action genre. God of War most likely took some inspiration from this POP series.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, Sumez said:

Yeah these games were a massive influence on modern video games, so they might stand out less in retrospect than they did at the time.

I can't imagine they don't hold up though. They were too enjoyable not to.

Do you have any examples of modern games that take heavy inspiration from them? I dont play new games all that much but I'd be interested in checking some out

1 hour ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Do you have any examples of modern games that take heavy inspiration from them? I dont play new games all that much but I'd be interested in checking some out

Mainly Assassin's Creed, the series that killed Prince of Persia. People seem to care more about open world 3d platforming than linear 3d platforming

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/05/31/the-essentials-prince-of-persia-the-sands-of-time.aspx

Ass Creed, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Mirror's Edge... hell, even Darksiders II ( which I just started) cribs everything

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Here's an a more critical take on Sands of Time. I haven't played it myself. I also disagree with this reviewer fairly often.

https://videogamecritic.com/ps2or.htm?e=00954#rev2690

The fact that he dumps on Beyond Good and Evil in the same review tells you everything you need to know

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I wouldn't think directly ripping off as much as the general style of game started taking over at the time. Almost every "action adventure game" nowadays is a linear storytelling comprised of a pace shifting between traversing/climbing terrain and battling baddies. The Uncharted series is a pretty good example. And of cause all the other ones mentioned by Reed.

Lots of details in how the game is built up, too. Like the way your character moves, and the way it hints at where you're supposed to climb to get to the next area, the way you fight enemies, etc. It's influential in kind of the same way Ocarina of Time is, though probably not to the same extent.

Edited by Sumez