IGNORED

Dr. Mario NES white end label

It looks like this. And no, it's not sunfaded.

1376946123179.jpg

To me it's like the gray Zeldas, or the Castlevania with the oversized Konami logo. Definitely less common, but not exactly commanding a premium.

Not sure on the rarity of Dr. Mario white, but I don't think even a hardcore variant collector would give more than a dollar or so above the price of the more common one.

Likely Definitely not a variant.

Notice how the "Dr. Mario" logo is pink? That's just pure Magenta from the "CMYK" printing process. There are four primary ink colors in the printing process. C for Cyan, M for Magenta, Y for Yellow, and K for Key or blacK.

I noticed that yellow fades before magenta, which fades before cyan, which fades before black. I don't explicitly know the science behind it, but I know it has to do with Ultraviolet light having a high amount of energy that makes the chemical bonds in lighter color pigments fade faster than darker color pigments.

This is the same thing as the "cyan top 10-yard fight". To make green in the CMYK spectrum you have to add Cyan + Yellow. When the yellow fades away you're left with pure cyan.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Although the label doesn't explicitly look faded, that pinkish / magenta colour definitely is a sign of sunfading. I hate that colour, Ive seen it so many times. Same with the notorious cyan colour @ThePhleo mentions in his post above. 

I honestly gotta agree with his analysis on this cart.

That's another thing that I forgot to type out fully since I went on a tangent.

The logo is supposed to be red. To make red with CMYK color, you have to add Magenta + Yellow. If the yellow fades away, you're left with raw magenta.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, austin532 said:

Doesn't red fade faster than yellow?

At first I was gonna say no, but it looks like the answer is way more complex than it seems. The scientific term for the "fadiness of ink" is called "Lightfastness"

General anecdotes from printer inks seems to be magenta > yellow > cyan > black, but there are plenty of anecdotes that also say its yellow > magenta > cyan > black...I've even found a video where the blue pigments are the ones that fade most dramatically.

Basically, it all really depends on the pigment.

Edited by ThePhleo

Here's a paper written by smart people.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/27520693_Overview_of_the_lightfastness_of_commercial_printing_inks_Understanding_the_mechanisms_of_color_bleaching

Their results vary wildly between magentas and yellows. The higher the score the better the ink lightfastness.

I requested the full text of this one just now too, but it was written in 1999 so who knows.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/296330551_Overview_of_the_Lightfastness_of_Commercial_Printing_Inks_Part_II_Influence_of_Solar_and_Fluorescent_Light

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
38 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Team Variant, just admit that it's sunfaded...

No, especially now that YOU have chimed in!  😉

Actually, I may believe ink fading (like the proposed reason for the "teal" Baseball end labels), but some things to point out-

If it were a natural flaw in the ink, wouldn't all of them have faded to this by now?

If you've ever seen anything sunfaded, these don't look the same way sunfaded stuff does.

Now to go buy a cheap Dr. Mario yellow and leave it in a window for a while...

My instinct tells me it isnt a variant.  For the top label to be different, you would have to see plenty more, esp for a mass released first party title.  Open it up and check the date codes for them.  If the date codes start matching up with other 'white' ended ones, id say yeah it is a variant.  Go thru ebay and see how many you can find, including lots.  Ive never seen one personally.