IGNORED

XBox or PS version worth more?

I'm not sure if I understand the question, but if you are asking what I think you are asking, the PS version of any particular game will almost certainly be worth more than the Xbox version with some exceptions.  I'm basing this off the fact that PS systems tend to be more collectible than their Xbox counterparts, regardless of which port is technically the superior port.  Often times, the 360 had a better port of a game than the PS3, but the PS3 version tends to sell for more.  Of course, there will always be exceptions.  The Xbox games that tend to be worth more are usually exclusives for the system.  

26 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm not sure if I understand the question, but if you are asking what I think you are asking, the PS version of any particular game will almost certainly be worth more than the Xbox version with some exceptions.  I'm basing this off the fact that PS systems tend to be more collectible than their Xbox counterparts, regardless of which port is technically the superior port.  Often times, the 360 had a better port of a game than the PS3, but the PS3 version tends to sell for more.  Of course, there will always be exceptions.  The Xbox games that tend to be worth more are usually exclusives for the system.  

Yeah sorry if this wasn’t clear, but this is what I was asking. 

6 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

PS fanboys see themselves at elite so I'd wager PS version. Xbox is the console for the ppl. Cheap games at a historically better quality. 

I disagree.  You are seeing more elitists in the PS group simply because there are more collectors in that group.  It's the same reason why you see more elitist Nintendo collectors compared to Sega.  The numbers are bigger, so statistically you are going to see more of those types of collectors.  The question is why are there more PS collectors compared to Xbox?  I would argue it's because PS has more exclusive content, and due to Sony's lower minimum orders, you are also much more likely to see physical versions of games on the PS library.  Once people start collecting those exclusives and physical versions, they tend to stay with Sony, even if Xbox has superior ports.  Most people like to collect for one type of System.  

Edited by TDIRunner

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

The question is why are there more PS collectors compared to Xbox?

I think PlayStation is marketed to that group and Xbox isn't. Xbox is a working mans console. A man who isn't afraid to get Cheeto dust on a controller every once in a while. 

Xbox is ultilatrain too. The controller hasn't changed bc the off set sticks, d pad (not individual buttons), and triggers are what ppl want. There wasn't been any tricks for devs to get the best out of the hardware either. 

Xbox is the Ford 150 of the consoles. It's a work horse and it will probably break but there's so many of them that they're worth replacing. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

X box is shitty.

Hi, you're shitty 🙂

ok now a real response, PS stuff will probably be worth more unless some crazy shit happens and everyone starts hating Sony. There are different games that had smaller print runs on Xbox compared to PS2 (irha sportsman's edition is the top one that comes to mind) where the Xbox version is worth more. All in all, loading times are faster on Xbox, you don't need memory cards to save on Xbox, and a lot of times games were released later on Xbox and have upgrades to graphics compared to PS2. 

I love PS2 and loved it during it's life but I had a better experience with Xbox and gamecube, shrug.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think people are missing the most blatantly important message that OP needs to hear from the sounds of the original post:

Do not "INVEST" in games released on modern consoles! If you're asking whether you should keep a sealed stack of PS5 or XBOX series games bought on launch day, my advice is to simply take your wallet out of your pocket and flush it directly down the toilet. You'll make far better gains doing that than wasting your money, time and space hoarding modern games! 😉

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gloves said:

How fucking dare you.

He's confused, we know the microsoft track record for quality. 🙂

I think that right there is why that Sony stuff tends to value better.  They have a better history, a better track record for hardware and software quality, exclusives, the works.  Not saying MS sucks, but much of what they have is valued notably less other than the sliver of exclusives and even those are getting more watered down as they've moved to also putting their IP on WIndows OS too.

15 hours ago, OptOut said:

Do not "INVEST" in games released on modern consoles! If you're asking whether you should keep a sealed stack of PS5 or XBOX series games bought on launch day, my advice is to simply take your wallet out of your pocket and flush it directly down the toilet. You'll make far better gains doing that than wasting your money, time and space hoarding modern games! 😉

Excuse me I was listening to the game investing podcast and he said a $3000 sealed case of 30 copies NBA 2K21s is a good investment because Kobe is the GREATEST.

• Wow! 1

Just looking at the PS2/Xbox gen, I would guess that PS2 will stay higher. The main thing it has going for it is that it is more established. I think that is the main reason Nintendo is more desired than Playstation. It is more about being established and nostalgia than about game library. The library does matter though and I would say that the PS2 library caters more to the type of gamer that will end up a collector. The Xbox also doesn't have much when it comes to rare games which will hamper it getting much traction with collectors (as opposed to people who prioritize gaming. 

That all being said, who knows what will happen as time goes on. The Xbox is a great console and has some of my personal favorite games (ya know... the best games ever made). Maybe it will end up surprising people.

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Excuse me I was listening to the game investing podcast and he said a $3000 sealed case of 30 copies NBA 2K21s is a good investment because Kobe is the GREATEST.

I just started listening to The Collector's Quest a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. Thanks for the work you do!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Just think about it from your perspective. Look at some common multiplatform non-sports games and ask yourself, would you rather own them on Xbox or Playstation?

I think you'll be able to answer your own question.

For the past couple gens there is little to no difference so it makes sense that people would prefer the more established brand with more exclusive games. With the first Xbox however, that was the only generation where you could easily assume that one console would have the best version of pretty much every multiplat and the difference in quality was often staggering between it and PS2. So I think it actually is odd that the OG Xbox version of most games tends to be the cheapest.

At the time I would always buy the Xbox versions though now I tend to side with PS2 for Japanese games or GC for some licensed games as those generally didn't utilize the Xbox's power at all so they come across as a bit half-assed.

I think you can’t generalize to say Xbox or PlayStation is worth more because “A is better than B”.

As a gamer, you can argue which is the better platform. As an investor, a worth of a game is a lot more complex. For instance, a loose disc of either Xbox/PS might be worth the same if the same title. For CIB Xbox/PS of the same title, it might be worth more and vice versa. For sealed/graded of the same title, the values might flip around.