IGNORED

Collector's Arrogance

fcgamer

In the past year or so, appreciation of classic gaming, and therefore collecting (and reselling...grr) has become mainstream in Taiwan. From what I've seen from some folks I know, this boom has also hit other places in my region, like Hong Kong. 

This has led to some negative things, imo, such as having to fight like vultures for gaming scraps (you can ask @OptOut, I'm always complaining to him about it), but it's also led to funky retro gaming releases that border more on the line of art (itg soft, circus), and even a few other more accessible items, such as contemporary museum displays, restaurants, etc. It's that which I want to discuss.

Currently there's a classic gaming display going on at what appears to be an artsy fartsy pop culture museum here; I haven't gone yet, I want to go, but I'm not sure if I want to spend two hours to head up there. Similarly, I saw a classic gaming restaurant / bar (?) just opened up in Taipei, again, although I definitely see the appeal of it all, and hope that my mate @OptOut and I can waste away together in it  at some point, similarly, I know that I'll feel a slight bit of disappointment or just "meh", since I've got more pieces laying about in my living room than either of these places has 😂

I don't want to take this attitude, but at the same time , I guess I want to see some unique pieces to draw me into a place like this. I know these places are pandering towards the casuals, cashing in on the popular trend, maybe in a way that actually causes me to take this stance as well, as a "purist"?

Anyways, I realise I'm probably coming across arrogant in my post, does anyone else have this collector's arrogance?

Look, you're thinking about this the wrong way.  You need to reach out to these guys, make friends and lease out your stuff on a periodic basis.  Maybe, if you play your cards right, you could do this at a few places.

I know you've been living over there a long time and have amassed a TON of stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if you could open your own museum.  So, you know, might as well make friends, share it and profit a little. Just my $.02.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

@RH has a point.  You can look at the world around you changing and fight it with anger and high blood pressure, or see the positives and other opportunities in those changes and well adapt with them. 

In some ways I'm saddened to see the change, but similarly, I knew it was only a matter of time. That's the thing about living over here, and being from the west, everything is behind by about ten years, in the sense of nostalgia, for better or worse. 🙂

I quite like @RH's thoughts though, it's definitely something I never considered, and it's a great idea. I'll start looking into trying to develop some connections there

Maybe these things aren't geared towards you, as you've mentioned.

And RH definitely has a great point about maybe reaching out to the organizers to lend out a thing or two (assuming they'll keep them secured; you definitely don't need things walking off).

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

I don't think you're arrogant for surveying the current landscape and being concerned whether what you see is a net positive or negative. On the one hand, places like you described are helping revitalize this corner of the gaming community and giving people a fun time, which means maybe we get more games (both in terms of new games being made and old games shaking loose into the market because people are suddenly wondering what they have in storage). On the other hand, maybe it makes collecting more competitive as resellers get greedy and people buying for investment purposes price people like you and me out of the market.

You may be right that you have a more extensive collection than the restaurants or exhibits you see, but you may learn about new resources to aid in your collecting, or you may connect with new collectors who want to help you (either by buying your duplicates or letting you know what they see when they're out hunting).

I often catch myself in a moment of arrogance or self-importance and feel bad that I do, but what matters is that you notice it and decide what to do about it, training yourself to ignore a toxic instinctive response and focus on what you want to think and feel instead.

I think there’s an underlying tone of collector’s frustration rather than arrogance. The world has definitely changed, with the collecting scene going mainstream due to popularity and price increases. 

As long term collectors, it’s very easy to feel a loss of identity because the more collectors that are out there, the less you feel unique as a collector. Not to mention the increasing amount of competition and the more cash you have to splash out!

As some good advice in the above responses, I think the key to prolong yourself as a collector is to adapt. Focus on the positives rather than the negative. In the least, it’ll help to control the blood pressure!

• Like 2