IGNORED

What Is Your Favorite Unlicensed NES Game To Play? (etc.)

PII

Krazy Kreatures on the weekly menu got me thinking about this.  I have a thing for really odd or awkward level designs (etc.)  A couple of licensed NES examples would be "Cool World" and "Stanley: The Seach For Dr. Livingston."  Rather than typical NES fair they remind me more of games that I played on the Commodore as a kid.  In those cases there were frequently games produced by a single programmer and level designs seemed more like they were dreamt up from a singular imagination as opposed to being revised and streamlined by a team to create flow or imitate an established style like Mario or Mega Man for example.  Another factor I like is that a game with this kind of structure/feel tends to be challenging and these really awkward situations are more likely to pop up that'll make me think: 'Now how in the heck am I gonna get through that?"

Anyway, I think "Impossible Mission II" is probably the most intriguing Unlicensed game on the NES for me so far.  There's all this amazing pin point jumping that I imagine the average gamer would choose an alternate superlative rather than amazing to describe, and it totally feels like something someone came up with, without having anyone else to be like: "You need to change this, it's not conducive to creating flow and drawing the player in."  

Here're some pics to showcase how odd the rooms are in this game.  I'm curious to know what everyone else favors.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

Bubble Bath Dudes 😉

Some favorites to play: Robodemons, Menace Beach, King Neptune's Adventure, Spiritual Warfare.

Intriguing: Escape from Atlantis - It reminds me of an early computer homebrew game, and has some interesting ideas throughout (like when you die you get sent to an underworld where the grim reaper chases you).  It doesn't really feel like an NES game. It is a bit rough around the edges, though for what it's worth it never did get officially finished or released.

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 1

I think Micro Machines and Krazy Kreatures are the two best unlicensed games, and it's hard to argue otherwise, but my personal pick is King Neptune's Adventure; I just love that you're a Merman travelling around the ocean collecting items to unlock other unique areas.  I also love the art style, love how the game handles with the underwater swimming and exploring, and the subscreen even has a map very reminiscent of Wizards & Warriors.  It's a fun game that literally no one ever talks about...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 3

If we're talking about original-era unlicensed (and not homebrew)...no love for Rolling Thunder?  Code Name Viper is a pretty decent clone from Capcom, but there is something about the original game that is great, and it is a surprisingly good arcade adaptation.

(also, I thoroughly enjoyed Super Robinhood)

• Like 1

Rolling Thunder and Klax

On 9/24/2020 at 8:39 AM, arch_8ngel said:

no love for Rolling Thunder?

JamesRobot, second reply. 

I love it. Challenging but not cheap. Tight control. Cool graphics and cut scenes Edit: and music

On 9/23/2020 at 6:07 PM, PII said:

I think "Impossible Mission II" is probably the most intriguing Unlicensed game on the NES for me so far.  There's all this amazing pin point jumping that I imagine the average gamer would choose an alternate superlative rather than amazing to describe

Intriguing, yes. It’s definitely a unique Nintendo game. Its roots as a PC game are very evident. It’s really good-looking, too, but in terms of gameplay, I do use those other words 😂... I could never figure it out.

Edited by Link