IGNORED

What Is Your Favorite Unlicensed NES Game To Play? (etc.)

PII

On 9/27/2020 at 9:35 PM, Tanooki said:

Here's kind of a side story into the wrench that is/was Tengen Tetris.

Earlier today I had a find in the wild of that 2 year old go retro! retrobit portable that basically has like 35 NES games from mainly Capcom and Data East on there, then a lot of filler trash (thankfully under seperate menu areas.)  Now what's interesting is the Tetris game.  It's Tengen Tetris, it's reskinned, far prettier, nice backgrounds to it, and seeing that the Tetris Company made this an official release, they tacked on the true Tetris Music-A tune we all love instead of those old russian/random tunes the old NES title had.  I found it quite fascinating you had Atari who had the arcade game, then decided to illegally make an NES one through their shadow company Tengen, it gets jerked for being a fraud, and now that fraud is the legit sanctioned 8bit copy of Tetris decades later.

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Now what's interesting is the Tetris game.  It's Tengen Tetris, it's reskinned, far prettier, nice backgrounds to it, and seeing that the Tetris Company made this an official release

Why do you think that's the Tengen game?

Are you absolutely sure you're not talking about this one?

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I found it quite fascinating you had Atari who had the arcade game, then decided to illegally make an NES one through their shadow company Tengen, it gets jerked for being a fraud, and now that fraud is the legit sanctioned 8bit copy of Tetris decades later.

Tengen didn't "decide to illegaly make a NES port" of Tetris; they were working under the assumption that they had the rights.  It was Nintendo that did the proper research with their high priced lawyers and found a way to backdoor Tengen and pull the rights out from under them.  Just saying...

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sumez said:

Why do you think that's the Tengen game?

Are you absolutely sure you're not talking about this one?

Hmm it may be that one, looks similar enough to be.  The bones of the game though seems to handle like the old Tengen game though with frequencies, handling and stuff.

And doc yeah I know, slip up I remember the story well enough as it was very well detailed in that paperback book Game Over like 20 years ago.

I'm backtracking this.  It seems 'shiru' made this version for retrobit/tetris company and it will run as expected on NES hardware for real.  Developer said as much off some comments I read.  I'm kind of curious to see if I can dig it up somewhere and pop that on my everdrive. 😄  I mean I do own it, I have the handheld.

Edited by Tanooki

I know the rom was extracted, but I don't know if it's in rotation in software piracy circles.

I guess it's weird that the tetrominos are designed to look like the Atari ones, but every other aspect of the game has nothing in common with it. It was designed to closer adhere to the current official Tetris guidelines (though it doesn't really... which is completely fine)

Tengen Tetris really controls like ass 😛 

Edited by Sumez
  • Wow! 1