IGNORED

Great Game with Dumb Name?

Nintegageo

27 minutes ago, RH said:

Sounds to me like a case where the Japanese title was directly translated to English, but not adjusted to sound more colloquial for native English speakers. 

No, it's pretty much the same in Japan. I think the Let Us Cling Together was taken from the Queen song.

Also, 1943: The Battle of Midway bugs me. The actual Battle of Midway was in 1942. They couldn't have picked a battle that actually took place in 1943 for the title? 😛

Too many to list just for NES alone.  Dumb titles were all the rage back then:

Faxanadu

Astayanax

Xexyz (maybe this one is so bad it's good)

Kickle Cubicle

OK maybe these aren't "great" games but all above average imo.  I would also throw Donkey Kong into the mix.  I love the name now and can't imagine our universe without it, but Donkey Kong is a pretty silly name when you think about it.

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, cartman said:

S.C.A.T ought to be a prime example 

A few years ago I heard about that game and wanted it for my collection. I bought the PAL version because it wasn't so expensive, and it was a pleasant surprise to find that the game is called "Action in New York" over in Europe. Still not a great title, but much more palatable than "S.C.A.T".

-CasualCart

2 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

A few years ago I heard about that game and wanted it for my collection. I bought the PAL version because it wasn't so expensive, and it was a pleasant surprise to find that the game is called "Action in New York" over in Europe. Still not a great title, but much more palatable than "S.C.A.T".

-CasualCart

Never heard of this. I know that Ninja used to be replaced with Hero because the former apparantly to violence too much and that was a no-no but there might have been other instances aswell like the one you're mentioning. For the record i don't think any title should be denied but that's how it was back then.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with Mega Man (it's definitely better than Rock Man), but some of the Mega Man games are pretty bad.

Mega Man Star Force 3: Black Ace/Red Joker

Keep in mind that this game isn't to be confused with Mega Man 3, Mega Man III, Mega Man X3, Mega Man Zero 3, or Mega Man Battle Network 3.  

• Like 1