IGNORED

Great Game with Dumb Name?

Nintegageo

Events Team · Posted
On 9/26/2020 at 2:58 PM, Tulpa said:

Was there any connection made between the homebrew Battle Kid and the fact that one of the original names considered for Rock Man/Mega Man was Rainbow Battle Kid?

I always thought that was the origin of the name, but I was never sure.

I would need to find the old thread to be 100 % sure, but I do think that this was brought up in the discussion, which would be the only redeemable reason to forgive the choice of such a lame name.

On 9/26/2020 at 6:46 PM, guillavoie said:

I always thought that Battle Kid was a totally lame name for a game. You got one of the best NES homebrew game made back then, and you just can't properly name it.

IMO Battle Kid feels completely appropriate for an NES game, aping the simpler and delightful naming schemes of the time. I appreciate that kind of naming.

• Like 1

Liquid Kids
Steins;Gate (the stupid title is partly justified in-game where it's acknowledged to be stupid, but come on)
Red Dead Redemption
Dracula X

On 9/26/2020 at 11:10 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Octopath Traveler. Never played the game but the name is pretty stupid. 

This one is absolutely a winner.

On 9/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Octopath Traveler. Never played the game but the name is pretty stupid. 

If you've ever played RPGs and enjoyed them, you should.  I give the name a pass.  Not only do you have eight character paths to play through, the first-letter of each character spells out "Octopath".  I'm not saying it's the best name in the world, but it is creative.

34 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Here's an easily overlooked one: All sequels to "Final" Fantasy.  Not that I have any bright ideas on how to fix it, but seriously...

Related since they merged, why in the world did they shift from Dragon Warrior to Dragon Quest?  I mean, I get that Japan might have always called it Dragon Quest, but I still feel like we have two questions here-- why was it changed to begin with, but since it was, why did they have to change it mid-stream anyway?  Dragon Warrior is a pretty cool name.  So is Dragon Quest.  But why was the inconsistency even necessary?

47 minutes ago, RH said:

If you've ever played RPGs and enjoyed them, you should.  I give the name a pass.  Not only do you have eight character paths to play through, the first-letter of each character spells out "Octopath".  I'm not saying it's the best name in the world, but it is creative.

I knew about the 8 character paths but not the character spellout. I dunno... still pretty dumb and a bit of a stretch 😛

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sumer said:

How is NINJA GOLF not on this list yet?  

::Looks at Atari 7800::

Oh, that's why!

In all seriousness, it is actually a fun game for the 7800.  And now that I think about it...Ninja Golf actually sounds pretty damn cool!

Ninja Golf?  How about a Ninja Dentist? 😄 

8 hours ago, RH said:

Related since they merged, why in the world did they shift from Dragon Warrior to Dragon Quest?  I mean, I get that Japan might have always called it Dragon Quest, but I still feel like we have two questions here-- why was it changed to begin with, but since it was, why did they have to change it mid-stream anyway?  Dragon Warrior is a pretty cool name.  So is Dragon Quest.  But why was the inconsistency even necessary?

Enix couldn't use "Dragon Quest" in the West at the time because it was already trademarked by some other company.  Once that expired or was not renewed, they were free to register it for themselves.  So it makes perfect sense why they changed it to begin with, but it does seem odd that they would change it back.  Most of the time, once you've built brand recognition for something, you don't suddenly throw your customers a swerve like that.  Mega Man will never revert to Rock Man over here; Goombas will never be reverted to their "real" name Kuribos over here, etc.  But man, Enix must have a real boner for the English title "Dragon Quest."

But my big problem with Dragon Warrior/Quest naming conventions is that all the fan translations can't seem to get it right.  Most of them will refer to Erdrick as Loto/Roto, which I get that was his original name in Japan, but we already established that it was Erdrick in the West.  Then they'll change Wyverns back to Chimeras, etc, etc.  It's weird seeing something called a Wing of Wyvern your whole life, then suddenly you pop in to your first item store in a fan-translated game and see a Wing of Chimera for sale.  Why?  A game translated to English is obviously made for people who have played the series' games in English regions, so why is it so hard for them to stick to standard naming conventions?  I know this is nit-picky, but if we're on the subject of dumb names in video games, this is the issue that bugs me the most...

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

but it does seem odd that they would change it back

Why is that so odd? It's much much better to work with a global brand, especially when that brand is as strong as Dragon Quest. It beats trying to desperately stick to keep up brand confusion for the next many decades, and it's genuinely surprising me that anyone would want that. Especially for an obscure brand that was only used in a single country.

Would you also prefer it if Final Fantasy 7 were called FF4 in the US, and FF7 in Europe, Japan and everywhere else?

Akumajou Dracula also changed to Castlevania in Japan during the PS2 generation, I guess because it was a stronger brand internationally, and I'm honestly surprised that Capcom are still trying to maintain Biohazard and Resident Evil separately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

I guess mostly because it's an incredibly cool name (and also the game isn't great, so that's 0 of 2 conditions :P)

I am saddened by this post! 😉 

I enjoy it, but perhaps that is only due to the quirkiness of it!  😄 

Edited by Sumer

You could also make an argument for any recent Japanese game that is based on a web or light novel, such as: Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? Infinite Combat.

Or how about: There's No Way "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute Portable" Could Continue

Seriously, just look at any Asian/Japanese storefront and you will encounter numerous offenders, like here: Sisters Royale: I'm Being Harrassed By 5 Sisters And It Sucks. Just how do you come up with this?

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 2:23 PM, glazball said:

Too many to list just for NES alone.  Dumb titles were all the rage back then:

Faxanadu

Astayanax

Xexyz (maybe this one is so bad it's good)

Kickle Cubicle

OK maybe these aren't "great" games but all above average imo.  I would also throw Donkey Kong into the mix.  I love the name now and can't imagine our universe without it, but Donkey Kong is a pretty silly name when you think about it.

Faxanadu is a "great" game, IMO.

And actually both Faxanadu and Astyanax were games I picked out as a kid based on their titles 😛😉

11 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Enix couldn't use "Dragon Quest" in the West at the time because it was already trademarked by some other company.  Once that expired or was not renewed, they were free to register it for themselves.  So it makes perfect sense why they changed it to begin with, but it does seem odd that they would change it back.  Most of the time, once you've built brand recognition for something, you don't suddenly throw your customers a swerve like that.  Mega Man will never revert to Rock Man over here; Goombas will never be reverted to their "real" name Kuribos over here, etc.  But man, Enix must have a real boner for the English title "Dragon Quest."

But my big problem with Dragon Warrior/Quest naming conventions is that all the fan translations can't seem to get it right.  Most of them will refer to Erdrick as Loto/Roto, which I get that was his original name in Japan, but we already established that it was Erdrick in the West.  Then they'll change Wyverns back to Chimeras, etc, etc.  It's weird seeing something called a Wing of Wyvern your whole life, then suddenly you pop in to your first item store in a fan-translated game and see a Wing of Chimera for sale.  Why?  A game translated to English is obviously made for people who have played the series' games in English regions, so why is it so hard for them to stick to standard naming conventions?  I know this is nit-picky, but if we're on the subject of dumb names in video games, this is the issue that bugs me the most...

I haven't played much of the post-title-switch games, so haven't seen the Chimera thing... which doesn't even make sense, since the in-game wyverns are definitely NOT "chimeras" in any classical sense.

And I'm glad that they weren't called Dragon Quest here, originally (1) because Dragon Warrior just sounds cooler and (2) we wouldn't have had the homebrew PC game "Warrior Dragon" 😛

38 minutes ago, cartman said:

The "New" Super Mario titles gotta be among the worst shit ever. Like how much does it take to figure out that new denotes the condition of an item and that one day said item won't be new so you can't just go and name the title that? Fucking terrible the bullshit they were pulling.

Yep... carried on to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe lol. Really the entire naming convention around Wii U is terrible. The console and then sticking the U after stuff. Luigi U lol... terrible.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

34 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yep... carried on to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe lol. Really the entire naming convention around Wii U is terrible. The console and then sticking the U after stuff. Luigi U lol... terrible.

Well, it's not without precedent:

• Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Star Wars (all of them), etc.
  • Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Quest 64, etc.
  • (Surprisingly this scheme didn't take for the Gamecube?!)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Fit

So it makes sense that the Wii U would follow suit.  DS games did this too.

Edited by RH