IGNORED

Great Game with Dumb Name?

Nintegageo

Smash Bros. is one of those series that has avoided the strange naming conventions that Nintendo goes with each generation, except for the Wii U/3DS generation.  

These are great names in my opinion:

Super Smash Bros.
   Super Smash Bros. Melee
   Super Smash Bros. Brawl
   Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

So why were they so lazy with the Wii U and 3DS releases?

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

26 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, it's not without precedent:

• Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Star Wars (all of them), etc.
  • Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Quest 64, etc.
  • (Surprisingly this scheme didn't take for the Gamecube?!)
  • Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Fit

So it makes sense that the Wii U would follow suit.  DS games did this too.

Yeah... I understand the convention... just saying it's dumb. It actually doesn't apply to a lot of games on the system either. Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Need For Speed: Most Wanted U (lmao),  NSMBU/Luigi U and Zombie U are the only ones I can think of. Notice how the later games dropped the 'U' even on the Nintendo exclusives; Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Starfox Zero, DK: Tropical Freeze, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Nintendo started dropping the 'U' moniker because they could see the writing on the wall which is why nothing after January 2014 had this naming convention. It's all around terrible. The fact that NSMBU Deluxe is for Switch is amusing to me and just goes to show how badly Nintendo wanted to erase the Wii U from history.

17 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

See my post above. I think by this point Nintendo knew the Switch was coming in full force and that the Wii U was already a commercial failure. It also released for both systems at the same time so they likely wanted to make it as clear as possible. I'd say by late 2013 Nintendo already knew the Wii U was going to be overtaken by their next console and it was damage control mode. One mystery to me is Starfox Zero and it's complete dependence on the Wii U Gamepad. I guess they were too late into development to make a significant change or cancel the project.

@Andy_Bogomil Well, I agree with you.  It is dumb, but I think it was just a company naming habit.  I even remember thinking after the first few games came out with "64" tacked on to the title that I thought as a kid that that wasn't really necessary.  Star Fox 64 could have been Star Fox 2 (which would have worked since they didn't release the actual SF2) Mario Kart 2 makes sense as well. 

I give Super Mario 64 a pass.  Mario games are often launch titles and showcase what a system can do buuuuut... then that means Super Mario Wii and Super Mario Wii U also make sense and we've come full circle because those are dumb sounding names.  

Yeah, this is dumb. Nintendo should've done better. 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yep... carried on to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe lol. Really the entire naming convention around Wii U is terrible. The console and then sticking the U after stuff. Luigi U lol... terrible.

Yeah that too what the fuck is U it's like they really couldn't be bothered giving a fuck anymore.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, Link said:

Are your eyes open to a whole new world now? 🤣 

Gloves' post certainly makes a lot more sense. I couldn't fathom why he'd be comparing such a good game to actual shit. I knew there was a poop fetish. I did not know it was widespread enough to have its own name. Even the extremely popular foot fetish is just called a foot fetish. 

1 hour ago, RH said:

@Andy_Bogomil Well, I agree with you.  It is dumb, but I think it was just a company naming habit.  I even remember thinking after the first few games came out with "64" tacked on to the title that I thought as a kid that that wasn't really necessary.  Star Fox 64 could have been Star Fox 2 (which would have worked since they didn't release the actual SF2) Mario Kart 2 makes sense as well. 

I give Super Mario 64 a pass.  Mario games are often launch titles and showcase what a system can do buuuuut... then that means Super Mario Wii and Super Mario Wii U also make sense and we've come full circle because those are dumb sounding names.  

Well the weird thing is that Nintendo obviously thought of Mario Kart 64 as Mario Kart 2 if you follow it back from Mario Kart 7. Not sure why they started with the numbers again for 7 and 8. Honestly, even as well as their handhelds have done, I still think the DS/DSi/3DS was not the best naming scheme either. We're seeing the confusion now with the Xbox series X.

Don't even get me started with the GBA Super Mario games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Smash Bros. is one of those series that has avoided the strange naming conventions that Nintendo goes with each generation, except for the Wii U/3DS generation.  

These are great names in my opinion:

Super Smash Bros.
   Super Smash Bros. Melee
   Super Smash Bros. Brawl
   Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I thought they were going for a play on words since it was the 4th game in the series

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RH said:

And the "64" is even dumber then the "U" or the "advance". The last one are legitimate names for consoles, but in the case of the N64 the name of the console itself is super dumb.

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Fortnite is a dumb name. They should have called it Fort Night!

Hahaha, somehow I didn't even think of that one.

I know this is more than likely untrue, but I like to think that whoever was responsible for naming the game was just an idiot who didn't realize it's spelled fort night and not fortnite, but the game became popular before they could fix the name 😆

4 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Fortnite is a dumb name. They should have called it Fort Night!

There isn’t a fort named “Night” in the game, is there?

It’s a zombie Survival game where you build stuff stuff like forts to survive the night, hence fortnite.

3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I think the discrepancy between those two is the problem I and some other people have with the name of the game 😛

Well it is neither it is fortnite, which means a long period of time, you know because it is a survival game.

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, fox said:

Well it is neither it is fortnite, which means a long period of time, you know because it is a survival game.

I understand that, my point is why didn't they just use the correct spelling of the word and call it fortnight, why bother with specifically spelling it fort"nite"? I mean, did they just not want people to confuse it with the word meaning a two week period of time, so they just changed the spelling? Hahaha, I feel like by that point I'd just come up with a different name.

6 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I understand that, my point is why didn't they just use the correct spelling of the word and call it fortnight, why bother with specifically spelling it fort"nite"? I mean, did they just not want people to confuse it with the word meaning a two week period of time, so they just changed the spelling? Hahaha, I feel like by that point I'd just come up with a different name.

Play on words 😛

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, croagunk said:

I know not a lot of people like this one, but I do. Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing for PS2. I don’t talk about it much because I cringe at the name and so does everyone else.

Are you trying to imply that not everyone fell instantly in love with the Gungans in Phantom Menace?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Are you trying to imply that not everyone fell instantly in love with the Gungans in Phantom Menace?

I don’t mind the Gungans, personally. I just think including a Gungan term in the title, especially a few years after the Phantom Menace came out and most people hated them, is bad marketing. Wouldn’t be surprised if it affected sales.