IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid -- PC port from 2000

arch_8ngel

Not just that but also the old MSX Metal Gear, not the NES turd, MGS2 and the Castlevania/Contra NES 5 game pack too.  Konami dropped a super surprise.

As far as MGS goes, or should we call it what it is, Metal Gear Solid Integral.  I've had it, I owned the game when it came out around 20 years ago on PC.  I still feel it is the best/definitive version of the game despite the fact I do like the Gamecube remaster too I don't think play wise it's anywhere as nice.

MGSI is fantastic.  The controls, camera, the various upgrades to the original such as the 1st person mode with the press of a button helps a lot when trying to spot traps and enemy patterns.  There are other tweaks between stock MGS and MGSI, google it, it's there so I really don't need to research and copy it here for you.

It really is the definitive version of MGS there is.  As far as fan mods, probably, if you can apply them and can find 15-20 year old updates from die hard fans.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Not just that but also the old MSX Metal Gear, not the NES turd, MGS2 and the Castlevania/Contra NES 5 game pack too.  Konami dropped a super surprise.

As far as MGS goes, or should we call it what it is, Metal Gear Solid Integral.  I've had it, I owned the game when it came out around 20 years ago on PC.  I still feel it is the best/definitive version of the game despite the fact I do like the Gamecube remaster too I don't think play wise it's anywhere as nice.

MGSI is fantastic.  The controls, camera, the various upgrades to the original such as the 1st person mode with the press of a button helps a lot when trying to spot traps and enemy patterns.  There are other tweaks between stock MGS and MGSI, google it, it's there so I really don't need to research and copy it here for you.

It really is the definitive version of MGS there is.  As far as fan mods, probably, if you can apply them and can find 15-20 year old updates from die hard fans.

I didn't look into it, so it is a nice revelation that it includes a functional 1st person look mode.

I'll keep an eye on the price, because I wouldn't mind revisiting that game -- don't think I've played the original since 1999, and I was spoiled by the updated play control of MGS2 shortly after.

I've only dug slightly, but Integral was something they went back to to clean up some stuff and add things to the original that I guess were a bit lacking or more stiff.  In a way it kind of feels a bit more closer to a blend of the mechanics of Ghost Babel(aka GBC MGS) and MGS2 too.  The game itself came out June 99 and the original was September of 98 looking at Japan.  All we got of Integral was the VR package on a separate disc on the PS1.

I could go and paste a bunch but this is easier.  Scroll down to the general differences, then slide a ways down the page specifically to the PC version which came even later than the Sony stuff for even more improvements and changes for the better as they're all detailed.

https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Integral