IGNORED

Is Jump Man Mario?

Deadeye

Is Jump Man Mario?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jump Man Mario?

I will always think of Mario as Mario and "Jumpman" as the guy from the Commodore 64/Atari game.  I never even saw the naming conflict in Donkey Kong until a few years ago.

Oh and, the guy in Wrecking Crew IS Mario.  When you beat the bonus stage after clearing 4 levels, the screen says "Mario found the coin!".

Spoiler: everything in Mario is all set pieces.

Mario canon doesn’t exist, there’s just loose rules around how a Mario game should look and feel.

Think if it like Final Fantasy. They’re all loosely connected by having the same namesake, crystals, airships, magic, moo goes, chocobos, mythical godlike creatures from various religions, and other elements. Not even all of them have to appear either to make it a cohesive “final fantasy”

Not everything has to have a consistent lore!

16 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I cannot accept this. Mario is an amateur kart racing champion as well as a super athlete who's canonically been to the Olympics 6 times. He has also been present at historical events on Earth via time machine including the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which he returned to the founding fathers, and Paris 1885 where CANONICALLY Mario helped Louis Pasteur create the rabies vaccine when Bowser tried to intervene.

Now the best comparison for Mario is probably Homer Simpson who's had every sort of job, been on all kinds of wacky adventures involving famous people, and has even been to space. Mario is less of a jerk though.

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Now the best comparison for Mario is probably Homer Simpson who's had every sort of job, been on all kinds of wacky adventures involving famous people, and has even been to space. Mario is less of a jerk though.

This goes back to my Forrest Gump reference -- Homer Simpson is basically a less-good-person version of Forrest Gump in the Simpson's universe. 😛

3 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I will always think of Mario as Mario and "Jumpman" as the guy from the Commodore 64/Atari game.  I never even saw the naming conflict in Donkey Kong until a few years ago.

Oh and, the guy in Wrecking Crew IS Mario.  When you beat the bonus stage after clearing 4 levels, the screen says "Mario found the coin!".

Are you referring to the game that is actually called Jumpman?

23 hours ago, Sumez said:

Someone explain to me why this thread exists 😛

The original Donkey Kong didn't even get to exist a full year before Mario got refered to as "Mario" in all promotional material related to the game.

What do you mean?  The character you play is referred to as Jumpman right there on the instruction card on the machine, and nowhere is he called Mario until afterward, hence the existence of this thread...

But yeah, Jumpman is 100% Mario.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Jumpman is Mario’s alter ego. By day, he works as a plumber who rescues his princess lady and loves eating mushrooms and gets high on them, hallucinating stuff in which he calls “power ups”.

By night, he changes into a carpenter who rescues some lady who gets caught by a gorilla. He calls himself Jumpman because his superpower is the power of “jump”. He’s more mellow at night where there are no mushrooms to be found. Except of course, when he gets his hands on a hammer, then he goes completely bonkers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1