IGNORED

The Ebay/Gamestop/Craiglist/Amazon/Goodwill/etc rant thread

Quest4Nes

19 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

If you haven't been around in a while, I highly recommend "watching" as many things as you can that you are interested in.  Especially, if those listing have "make offer" as an option.  You will regularly get offers from the sellers.  I occasionally get 25% off offers on items just for having them in my watch list.  Sometimes the offers are crap, but sometimes they are better than what I planned to offer from my end.  This method of course, only works well you aren't in a hurry to buy something.  

I do this constantly 

17 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I usually avoid auctions all together.  It’s usually not worth the hassle though I will throw a low bid at an auction sometimes just so I get the notification when it’s ending to see if it’s worth it.  These were all auctions that got no other bids I think.  I don’t care that much but it’s just sucky that they can do that.  

I watch list all kinds of stuff just to see what kind of offers get shot my way.  Definitely a part of my process.  I live in OBO land lol.  I find that even sometimes if you can sus out the OBOs in your watch list that have been sitting a long time (especially if seller has pretty low feedback) you can snag some pretty decent discounts.  There’s good stuff to be found low balling a sub 100 seller lol.

I still prefer auctions to be honest, at least there’s a chance you get something really cheap, and I have many, many times. With the BIN even with offers, it never compared to what Ive got at auction. Sucks that sellers quick using it so much

I know I've gone off on how I don't buy domestic but barely anymore period outside of local, but ebay I never quit on, but it's largely for the odd ends of things and Japanese games.  And what @TDIRunner said is accurate.  I used to hate wishlisting(watching) stuff because in the past it seemed to get almost abused by the sellers side.  Yet in the last few years I started using it when it came to the non-US gamer crap, and I've had better results.  You do get the fool who will throw an insulting 5% off (why dude seriously?!) offer maybe hoping someone won't read and click I guess.  But then there's the default the system can offer which is 10% which still isn't that great, but sometimes you get the 15-25% off stuff and I've had a rare case of 33%+ too when they probably sat on it awhile and are fed up.

I also find not dealing with the 'inshitifcation of america' types @Hammerfestus mentioned (nice term by the way) getting all entitled and not used to being told NO that dig in works in other ways.  I see offer, I just don't offer that much anymore.  I'd rather contact seller and open a dialogue.  Sometimes it's brief, other times I can get a 5-10 post conversation plus with people and it gets cozier and nicer.  You can more easily find out where their breaking point is without being a cold prick about it and usually it works more in your favor to buy or at least to get to not bother wasting your time.  I'm fine with that in reverse if I leave it open to offers, but when someone just messages me blunt and says 'X dollars' or similarly short sentence like a demand vs a kind ask, it's just more of those a-hole types that deserve no response.

On 5/23/2024 at 2:41 PM, Hammerfestus said:

It has been awhile since I did my eBay thing and now I’ve been back out there tossing out bids and hunting BINs for about a month and I need to ask, is it now just standard practice that when sellers don’t like the results of their auctions they just cancel bids?  And there’s no recourse to this?  I can’t even red ding these MFers.

It's a very small amount of sellers doing that. The only recourse you have is to leave a negative feedback. Ebay will protect its bottom line so chances of anything happening if a seller backs out on a deal is nothing. Sellers who do that most likely racked up several negative feedback so those folks have the "I don't care attitude." It goes both ways. Seller lists items for BIN and they cancel and refund with a lame excuse however due to the item being sold quickly which was because of under pricing. I can understand a mistake but some people do no research at all then once the purchase is completed that's when the research happens. 

I find auctions work best on mixed odd lots.  Find an auction of 20 games across 2-3 systems and you can snag lots at a value of 25-33% the value you can get if everything is divided out.  IMHO, if you’re willing to sell the stuff you don’t want, even in group-lots but each lot for one systems worth of games, it’s the best approach to pick up a few games for “free”, or possibly get paid to take them. Yes, it’s an effort but odd lots are your friend when it comes to getting games cheap or even free.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 2:16 PM, RH said:

I find auctions work best on mixed odd lots.  Find an auction of 20 games across 2-3 systems and you can snag lots at a value of 25-33% the value you can get if everything is divided out.  IMHO, if you’re willing to sell the stuff you don’t want, even in group-lots but each lot for one systems worth of games, it’s the best approach to pick up a few games for “free”, or possibly get paid to take them. Yes, it’s an effort but odd lots are your friend when it comes to getting games cheap or even free.

You find these bin too.  I don’t know guys I never have any luck with auctions.  Anyway, I skim a lot of mixed system stuff because it feels like they’re always scraps.
I’ve been perusing a lot of Wii stuff right and I’m on basically a lot-only policy. I’ve been appraising lots with a lot of extra waste $$ when deciding if they’re worth it to get what I want from them too.  Shit gets expensive these days.  Oh there’s also the problem where I end up keeping way more than I originally intended 😆 

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

You find these bin too.  I don’t know guys I never have any luck with auctions.  Anyway, I skim a lot of mixed system stuff because it feels like they’re always scraps.
I’ve been perusing a lot of Wii stuff right and I’m on basically a lot-only policy. I’ve been appraising lots with a lot of extra waste $$ when deciding if they’re worth it to get what I want from them too.  Shit gets expensive these days.  Oh there’s also the problem where I end up keeping way more than I originally intended 😆 

Video games are what comic books were a few decades ago -- ultra collectible and people are snatching them up! You can of course still get lucky now and then, and find deals. You can also find lots, those tend to be the best investments, but it takes time. And space -- make sure your significant other is okay with it 😄

That said, I've found that lots of people overprice games, especially older games. They'll often price them 3-5 times the going rate, I'm guessing they hope someone with a bit of money just says "why not" -- which of course can happen, but not usually. Still, at the end of the day, ebay remains the best place to find games, and these days, well you need to save your pennies!

• 2 weeks later...

A seller has cancelled my bids on various auctions due to "an error in the listing." How nice of them to realize how much their other listings of similar items are going for, cancel all bids on remaining items, relist and slap a BIN that is in some cases 3x what the other items went for. The items were not even going for cheap, so this just doesn't even make any sense when people were bidding up items to begin with.

Dragons Den Television GIF by CBC

17 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

A seller has cancelled my bids on various auctions due to "an error in the listing." How nice of them to realize how much their other listings of similar items are going for, cancel all bids on remaining items, relist and slap a BIN that is in some cases 3x what the other items went for. The items were not even going for cheap, so this just doesn't even make any sense when people were bidding up items to begin with.

Dragons Den Television GIF by CBC

Happens a lot. I think when the auction is down to 24 hours they can't cancel, but until then the seller can always cancel the bids and end the auction. You would think the seller would do a bit of research and list something for going rates...

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where to post this, but this might be the right place. An eBay rant turned into absolute relief. A package got lost, more likely stolen at the eBay international hub. For a few weeks it was stress for me and my buyer (who is absolutely awesome throughout all this) With eBay's policies, I had to refund the buyer $378 for a very rare video game, but by some miracle, eBay actually contacted me themselves and said I do not have to refund that they will admit fault and refund the buyer and it won't affect my account. No, it was shipped with the eBay Standard that has only up to $100 claim and not the new hub one with full protection. So just to shine this thread with some good news for once. 🙂  .. but man they have hired thieves up there lol.

4 hours ago, Skorp said:

Didn't know where to post this, but this might be the right place. An eBay rant turned into absolute relief. A package got lost, more likely stolen at the eBay international hub. For a few weeks it was stress for me and my buyer (who is absolutely awesome throughout all this) With eBay's policies, I had to refund the buyer $378 for a very rare video game, but by some miracle, eBay actually contacted me themselves and said I do not have to refund that they will admit fault and refund the buyer and it won't affect my account. No, it was shipped with the eBay Standard that has only up to $100 claim and not the new hub one with full protection. So just to shine this thread with some good news for once. 🙂  .. but man they have hired thieves up there lol.

eBay fully refunds any international claim through GSP FYI.  I don't know why or how and not sure if international buyers are exploiting it, but international sales are easy as cake.  

If you deal on ebay enough you'll occassional come into the problem buyer.  One who asks a million questions, makes and offer, goes back and forth, finally wants to accept... then adds special shipping criteria afterwards, etc.  I've learned to cut those buyers off after a couple of back and forths but if it's an international one then I just let it go through.  Had an international guy try to return a $750 sealed graded game due to "case scuffs" (which we went back and forth on extensively, just became buyer's remorse), and ebay handled it all.  Kept the money and buyer was refunded via ebay somehow.  SInce I've learned that I'll gladly take any international GSP sale.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonebone said:

eBay fully refunds any international claim through GSP FYI.  I don't know why or how and not sure if international buyers are exploiting it, but international sales are easy as cake.  

If you deal on ebay enough you'll occassional come into the problem buyer.  One who asks a million questions, makes and offer, goes back and forth, finally wants to accept... then adds special shipping criteria afterwards, etc.  I've learned to cut those buyers off after a couple of back and forths but if it's an international one then I just let it go through.  Had an international guy try to return a $750 sealed graded game due to "case scuffs" (which we went back and forth on extensively, just became buyer's remorse), and ebay handled it all.  Kept the money and buyer was refunded via ebay somehow.  SInce I've learned that I'll gladly take any international GSP sale.

That's good to know! Wow that's crazy that happened to you, but great it ended up working out for a corrupt buyer. Good too as I do end up selling much more internationally than in the states. This was my first expensive package that got lost after 16 years on eBay (only had a $40 get lost a few years ago) so it was news to me eBay actually cares. Heard so much where eBay will always side with the buyer lol.

• 1 month later...

Anyone getting crap in their ebay searches?

Example, say you search for "Arc The Lad Collection" -- okay, it looks like you're getting the results you want. But then select "Brand New" and you get 35 hits, including: Dragon Warrior VII... yeah. Basically ebay is failing in basic database management. Also, the results I'm getting are from international sellers, namely in Germany. But then, if I go to the seller's page and click on "other items" all I see is LEGO even though the seller is clearly selling a ton of games.

Well, guess that's what happens when you outsource to the cheapest shite you can find 🙃

10 hours ago, avatar! said:

Example, say you search for "Arc The Lad Collection" -- okay, it looks like you're getting the results you want. But then select "Brand New" and you get 35 hits, including: Dragon Warrior VII... yeah. Basically ebay is failing in basic database management. Also, the results I'm getting are from international sellers, namely in Germany. But then, if I go to the seller's page and click on "other items" all I see is LEGO even though the seller is clearly selling a ton of games.

Well, guess that's what happens when you outsource to the cheapest shite you can find 🙃

On the flipside that means if you DO find something, you may get a deal because no one else can stumble across it

• Haha 1

I like how you default to trashy best match and if you want to change it to ends/starts first for instance, suddenly your search results erase a lot of hits.  It has been doing this for awhile now and it's infuriating.

• Agree 1

On 8/15/2024 at 4:22 PM, avatar! said:

Ebay has modified their search algorithm recently to sometime fuzzier or AI driven instead of exact matches.  Obviously the goal is to drive more scrolling but it's just irritating.  

• Agree 1

Mini rant: I know Mercari US updated their fee structure recently so that now all fees are basically charged to the buyer on top of the "base cost" instead of the seller paying them.  

Lord has it made that site a trash heap for me ever since.  If sellers adjusted their prices lower for the fees maybe I'd go in with a bit more of an open mind, but right now after the multiple fees applied everything just feels like a bait and switch by the time I get to checkout.  More than once I've added something to my cart and then abandoned it because of an extra $15 in fees or something.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

Mini rant: I know Mercari US updated their fee structure recently so that now all fees are basically charged to the buyer on top of the "base cost" instead of the seller paying them.  

Lord has it made that site a trash heap for me ever since.  If sellers adjusted their prices lower for the fees maybe I'd go in with a bit more of an open mind, but right now after the multiple fees applied everything just feels like a bait and switch by the time I get to checkout.  More than once I've added something to my cart and then abandoned it because of an extra $15 in fees or something.

Is this true? Mecari making the buyers pay seller fees?

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

It happened several months ago I think.  I mean yeah someone has to pay the fees for the platform but I think pushing it on the buyer is going to end poorly.  Here's a reddit thread about it a bit:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xelement5x said:

It happened several months ago I think.  I mean yeah someone has to pay the fees for the platform but I think pushing it on the buyer is going to end poorly.  Here's a reddit thread about it a bit:

I read some of that thread after reading you comment from earlier.

I’m guessing they are predicting sellers lower there prices in order to compensate for the buyer paying the fees.

I read that the seller still has to pay a $2 fee to transfer funds? Is that true?

On 8/26/2024 at 5:17 PM, docile tapeworm said:

I read some of that thread after reading you comment from earlier.

I’m guessing they are predicting sellers lower there prices in order to compensate for the buyer paying the fees.

I read that the seller still has to pay a $2 fee to transfer funds? Is that true?

Yeah from my understanding you need to pay to have funds transferred out now as well.  I've never really used Mercari  except for buying myself, but I know some folks like it a lot over ebay for selling.  

• Agree 1

On 8/26/2024 at 1:42 PM, docile tapeworm said:

Yes they changed it last March and emailed everyone who ever had an account there.  To entice more sellers they decided to take the sellers fee of like 10% and make the buyer pay for it.  They do it as an additional charge during the check out period.  So you have like a $10 game, then you get hit with the usual buyers fees (their version of the ebay FVF to cover charges etc the $2 question you asked), then they tack the 10% seller fee on top of that, and hit you with state tax before those to scrape even more off.  So yeah you buy a $10 item but end up paying like $15 for it or so depending.

I was shocked, found an item I wanted and tested it thinking they couldn't be that greedy and stupid and well they were.  When I saw the price of the item around 50% more at that lower price I cleared the bucket, went into the account tools, and I deleted my account.  In the box where they like to know why, without snark, I stated I'm not paying sellers fees making items cost X much more and hit submit.  I've never visited the site since.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2