GOP debate over student mental health puts future funding in doubt 

On 8/2/2024 at 12:34 PM, Link said:

Take your pick.

205 Republicans Vote Against Bill to Expand School Mental Health Services

Mental health parity bill faces Republican opposition

GOP cuts to proposed education budget include funding for student mental health

House passes package addressing mental health, 20 Republicans vote 'no'

GOP debate over student mental health puts future funding in doubt 

Ah, "American supporters of gun rights" means certain Republican congresspeople. 

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Eyeroll 1

On 8/5/2024 at 10:06 AM, Hammerfestus said:

What do the words elected representative mean to you?

Well it surely doesn't mean that "American supporters of gun rights" monolithically align with the elected representative's thoughts/actions on mental health.

Monoliths don't exist in the real world, obviously. I think his point was more:

"American supporters of gun rights" tend to skew strongly Republican

Republican members of Congress repeatedly vote against mental health services

The people in the first point voted for the people in the second point. In a representative democracy, this is as close as we can get to these citizens voting against these bills.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Monoliths don't exist in the real world, obviously. I think his point was more:

"American supporters of gun rights" tend to skew strongly Republican

Republican members of Congress repeatedly vote against mental health services

The people in the first point voted for the people in the second point. In a representative democracy, this is as close as we can get to these citizens voting against these bills.

"American supporters of gun rights have very little overlap with supporters of funding of mental health services and legislation, despite their constant talk about it."

That statement is way different than what you just outlined, which is why I inquired. 

I get the logic, but in my opinion, the comment was made as an exaggerated blanket statement to discredit anyone who supports gun rights that highlights mental health as a root cause of gun violence as they're most likely full of shit (based on the actions of some elected republicans?)

15 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

That statement is way different than what you just outlined, which is why I inquired. 

Not in the opinion of the person who said it. @Khromak nailed it.

16 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

an exaggerated blanket statement to discredit anyone who supports gun rights that highlights mental health as a root cause of gun violence as they're most likely full of shit (based on the actions of some elected republicans?)

Maybe this is a problem of having only two parties but mental health is not the only thing, by far. It's so simplistic to just point at that. Yet, that frequently happens, and discussion of addressing any other root causes is routinely shut down with the mental health cudgel, only from one side of the aisle (be it by pols, media, or citizens like you and me).

If we don't want nuts to have access to gun owners' stuff then maybe there should be some guard rails around the stuff. I'm sorry that there are sacrifices to make society function.

And, sure, let's have some more mental health resources then, instead of just talk. Of course I'm not against MH services. What do you or any politician or organization you favor propose and how will it be funded? 

• Like 1

Oh what's up USA election thread? I like Walz. I have more reading to do on him. I like Buttigieg too.

I'm glad it's not Shapiro, because even Vance is right about the way he talks. It would make for a ton of bad optics. And Obama is a "great orator" because he uses the power of persuasion and belief, not the pleasing timbre of his voice and relatable accent, so no, the comparison isn't a compliment to him. That's just acting on his part. (Older recordings of him are a LOT less "folksy".) And the campaign does not need a sexual harassment problem! That's only good for 45.

Edited by Link
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Link said:

Oh what's up USA election thread? I like Walz. I have more reading to do on him. I like Buttigieg too.

I'm glad it's not Shapiro, because even Vance is right about the way he talks. It would make for a ton of bad optics. And Obama is a "great orator" because he uses the power of persuasion and belief, not the timbre of his voice and relatable accent, so no, the comparison isn't a compliment to him. That's just acting. And the campaign does not need a sexual harassment problem! That's only good for 45.

I swear I was posting in the American thread... sigh... maybe a glitch? Maybe I'm getting old...

Tired Happy Birthday GIF by Looney Tunes

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I swear I was posting in the American thread... sigh... maybe a glitch? Maybe I'm getting old...

Tired Happy Birthday GIF by Looney Tunes

I keep seeing people online calling Trump mispronouncing words and the like "glitches", so why not both? 

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I keep seeing people online calling Trump mispronouncing words and the like "glitches", so why not both? 

No I don't like this I want to listen to glitch music without thinking of that guy. 

okay here's a compromise 😝 

Screenshot-from-2024-08-09-19-42-39.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/kursk-incursion-russia-reinforcements-ukraine-attack-putin-rcna165732

A convoy of burnt-out military trucks, some bearing the "Z" symbol of the Kremlin’s war and appearing to contain bodies, sits along the side of a highway. But the video, circulating on social media Friday and geolocated by NBC News, doesn’t show a beleaguered section of the front lines in eastern Ukraine. It is a village in Kursk, across the border in southern Russia. For days now, Vladimir Putin’s forces have struggled to put down an incursion into Russian territory by Ukrainian troops, a surprise attack that threatens to upend the war’s status quo and open a new front in a daring challenge to the Kremlin.

The unprecedented assault entered its fourth day Friday with battles still raging and Moscow rushing reinforcements and bombing its own territory to try to contain the Ukrainian advance.

“If we take a step back, it looks to me like the first time that Ukraine’s state forces have invaded Russia,” Frank Ledwidge, a former British military intelligence officer and senior lecturer in war studies at England’s University of Portsmouth, told NBC News. “That’s very significant.”

I don't think Ukraine plans to hold the territory for long. 1000 troops can do a tremendous amount of damage, but even though they're well trained they can't hold back 100,000 troops that Putler will send to the meat grinder. Probably done to send a message, gather intelligence, and put pressure on Russia.

Blow for Xi as investors scramble to quit China

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/08/12/blow-for-xi-investors-scramble-quit-china/

Fears over the future of the world’s second largest economy meant foreign investors withdrew $14.8bn (£11.6bn) between April and June, data from the State Administration of Foreign Exchange shows.

It was only the second time more foreign money has been withdrawn from China than invested since records began in 1998, and was a massive swing from the net $10bn pumped into the country during the first three months of the year.

Foreign direct investment in China last turned negative in the autumn of 2023, when investors pulled out $12bn. Chinese companies also invested a record $71bn overseas between April and June, up 80pc year on year.

Combined, this meant China suffered a record net outflow of $86bn in direct investment.

Western businesses exporting to the US have been “nearshoring” production to friendlier states such as Vietnam and Mexico in order to reduce risks to their supply chains.

Yup, and hope it continues! There's no reason to invest heavily in a country that is your geopolitical enemy!

😮

Screenshot-from-2024-08-13-15-46-28.png

https://jalopnik.com/ukrainian-forces-built-a-hydrogen-bomb-out-of-a-toyota-1851620854

The Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle has hardly been an international sales success, thanks to poor hydrogen infrastructure, expense, and polarizing design, but it proved successful to Ukrainian forces which scavenged parts from the hydrogen car to create the world’s smallest hydrogen bomb.

Of course there was no fusion involved, so not truly a H-bomb, but still innovative and hopefully it helps get rid of the Russian orcs!