IGNORED

New eBay Managed Payments - They cut PayPal out!

tbone3969

So, the last I sold on eBay, I had no trouble getting PayPal. I have never associated a bank account with them and I've even paid feed for eBay through PayPal. My guess is, they will hustle those of us like me, last. But, I've received no emails pressuring me to provide a bank account for payment.

However, yesterday I went to buy something and though payment by PayPal was still an option, I kept getting HTTP 423 errors, which is suppose to be to many redirects. 

I tried to pay all day and eventually just paid with my PayPal debit card. The reason this whole thing sucks to me is PayPal is like a bank account light. Plus, we all know how easy it is to send money back and forth to others.

If you are like me and sell game won eBay to buy more collectibles and stuff, this now means you have to wait for your payments to deposit and then re-deposit them into PayPal. This is such an annoyance.

2 hours ago, RH said:

So, the last I sold on eBay, I had no trouble getting PayPal. I have never associated a bank account with them and I've even paid feed for eBay through PayPal. My guess is, they will hustle those of us like me, last. But, I've received no emails pressuring me to provide a bank account for payment.

However, yesterday I went to buy something and though payment by PayPal was still an option, I kept getting HTTP 423 errors, which is suppose to be to many redirects. 

I tried to pay all day and eventually just paid with my PayPal debit card. The reason this whole thing sucks to me is PayPal is like a bank account light. Plus, we all know how easy it is to send money back and forth to others.

If you are like me and sell game won eBay to buy more collectibles and stuff, this now means you have to wait for your payments to deposit and then re-deposit them into PayPal. This is such an annoyance.

I agree. I liked the ability to just sell on ebay, leave the funds parked on Paypal, and buy something else without the transfer times. Now I'm lucky to get my money within a week of something selling.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 6:45 AM, RH said:

I now pay with my discover or master card for Ebay purchases. Get 2% back or get a promotional rate of 5% back on either card 6 months out of the year then just pay it off.

• 5 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

With the new system is it safe to ship before the payment has been processed? I would assume so as eBay is prompting me to ship, but just want to make sure that's common practice with the new system. 

You don't actually get "paid" until Ebay sends your money a few days later, but they expect you to ship the next day. 

As soon as something is sold I consider the payment as made/valid and ship the stuff out as soon as I can.

• Like 1

Doesn't that given their anti-seller antics seem to be kind of sketchy trusting that?  What if someone claims it doesn't arrive because the USPS doesn't bother to scan an item or stops moving it in the scan.  Someone could get a thing, claim it never showed up, and ebay just keeps the money and you're out your stuff.  It seems far easier to screw someone over.  And I mean really they're not paying ebay they're paying ME for the item, I should have the right to the money before the goods leave my hands.  It's not like I can go to a burger joint, eat the food, and like Wimpy say I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.  Yeah, that's not alright.

I honestly haven't even looked at ebay since this change happened. For me, my PP account was like my fun hobby money, separate from my 'real' money. Now, if I sell something and the money goes to my bank, then psychologically, I'm like "eh, that's in the bank - it's there for stuff we NEED" and I won't bother to move it to PP for fun hobby stuff. Oh well.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I honestly haven't even looked at ebay since this change happened. For me, my PP account was like my fun hobby money, separate from my 'real' money. Now, if I sell something and the money goes to my bank, then psychologically, I'm like "eh, that's in the bank - it's there for stuff we NEED" and I won't bother to move it to PP for fun hobby stuff. Oh well.

I agree... I used to use mine as a gaming fund to buy and sell without touching my bank account. It was also nice too that I could see the money instantly and do what I want with it. I don't mind that part as much as having to wait a week for my money after a sale. I was forced to sign up two weeks ago, sold my first item Thursday (Jan 28th), it was processed on Friday, and then 'sent' to me today (2nd). I just got an email stating it will take 3-4 days to show in my account which could potentially put it over a week since the sale. Seems somewhat ridiculous this day and age that it would take that long to process a transaction to hand your money over from a massive company like eBay.

Anyway, I jumped the gun with my last question as it was answered in the email they sent about the funds being transferred. 3-4 business days after you get the notification from eBay.

9 hours ago, noiseredux said:

Exactly why I'm going to setup one of those accounts I said on the other page.  Screw them, they're not getting access to the same account my paycheck and bills get bounced off of, never going to have that kind of power or control.  They'll be cut off to a managed account where I'll keep a very low balance to cover any of their crap and the rest stuffed into the other one to shield against their bs.  Any funny business, I block em and remove the funds, end of story.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Exactly why I'm going to setup one of those accounts I said on the other page.  Screw them, they're not getting access to the same account my paycheck and bills get bounced off of, never going to have that kind of power or control.  They'll be cut off to a managed account where I'll keep a very low balance to cover any of their crap and the rest stuffed into the other one to shield against their bs.  Any funny business, I block em and remove the funds, end of story.

I understand. And I guess I could do something similar, but now it feels like "work." Like, ebay is making me do work to continue using them. That really lowers my motivation to keep using them.

13 hours ago, LostLevel83 said:

In business, the idea is to make it easy for people to want to give you money, right?

I really don't get this, how hard is it for people to set up paypal? Also, why would anyone want to put in their credit card number when they can add a layer that provides more security.

5 minutes ago, sg17 said:

I really don't get this, how hard is it for people to set up paypal? Also, why would anyone want to put in their credit card number when they can add a layer that provides more security.

A little confused by your last statement here -- paying by credit card online is probably the MOST secure way for a buyer to pay, in that they have the cleanest and clearest path to established legal protections.

Every layer you add in the middle convolutes your ability to leverage the legal protections inherent to your credit card.

41 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I understand. And I guess I could do something similar, but now it feels like "work." Like, ebay is making me do work to continue using them. That really lowers my motivation to keep using them.

Agreed, motivation as far as they go with selling is pretty much shot and this doesn't make it any less so.  It's not that I want to, there is no alternative and they know it.  Unlike in other countries, say like Japan with their yahoo auctions site which thrives extremely well, the US version does it even exist anymore?  eBay in this area has edged it all out, so you're stuck using very limited markets otherwise and end up netting less or nothing if you stick to facebook, web forums, etc.  If I didn't have stuff I wanted to not just throw out or give away basically at a garage sale or the facebook/craigslist equal I'd quit with it.

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

A little confused by your last statement here -- paying by credit card online is probably the MOST secure way for a buyer to pay, in that they have the cleanest and clearest path to established legal protections.

Every layer you add in the middle convolutes your ability to leverage the legal protections inherent to your credit card.

Why not the opposite? If someone scams me I can file a dispute through paypal, and if that fails go to my credit card company. Also, I thinking not only about it but also about information security. I tend to trust paypal in terms of technology, but I don't trust random websites, so I prefer to pay with paypal and not expose my credit card information to one more party. Also, I really don't trust ebay, given how awful and glitchy their system is.

• Like 1

I actually miss getting payouts via PayPal (though the instant fee deduction vs invoicing is really nice) - mostly because then I can re-invest what I earned back selling off duplicates back into more games more easily. I can definitely do that with a credit card now for buying more but between that and deposits into checking, I'll probably have way more questions from my wife about the amounts I'm dealing with when buying vs selling vs buying more games than I would otherwise 😅

I also echo the sentiment from sg17 above - using PayPal on various sites is great for me because I don't want to be giving my actual credit card numbers to all these random websites. In the case of eBay who owned PayPal anyway I am not as much concerned.

33 minutes ago, sg17 said:

Why not the opposite? If someone scams me I can file a dispute through paypal, and if that fails go to my credit card company. Also, I thinking not only about it but also about information security. I tend to trust paypal in terms of technology, but I don't trust random websites, so I prefer to pay with paypal and not expose my credit card information to one more party. Also, I really don't trust ebay, given how awful and glitchy their system is.

You aren't really getting an extra layer of protection with what you describe -- if Paypal doesn't side with you, and then you execute a chargeback counter to Paypal's findings, then Paypal will potentially send you to collections.

Basically you are leaving it up to Paypal (or whatever other middle-man you choose).

Personally, I would rather make sure I have full/direct access to the strong consumer protections associated with credit cards.

Exposing credit card information to online points of sale is the lowest liability transaction you can execute online -- the only hassle is the time it takes to make a 5 minute phone call to have the issuer overnight a new card, assuming you have already set up transaction log emails so that you're aware of any fraud.

1 hour ago, sg17 said:

What does that mean?

It means the process goes like this:

(1) you file your dispute with Paypal -- and for whatever reason they decide against you

(2) you then file a chargeback with your CC

(3) Paypal still says you owe them the money, because they previously decided against you, and they decide to send you to collections if you don't pay them back the money you just charged back

That is -- your recourse doesn't double by having both your CC and Paypal as a middleman -- instead it will most likely stop with Paypal.

And I strongly suspect, that if any of us fully read the Paypal terms and conditions, we all likely signed up to have to accept whatever Paypal's findings are in a dispute (i.e. we potentially forfeit chargeback justification against them as part of the agreement -- though admittedly, I've never cared enough to read that in detail, because there isn't enough at stake for me to worry about it)

So generally, I would rather cut out the middleman (that in fact, represents an extra vulnerability) and just deal with CC issuers, who have legal requirements around specific cc-related consumer protections.

Edited by arch_8ngel

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

It means the process goes like this:

(1) you file your dispute with Paypal -- and for whatever reason they decide against you

(2) you then get file a chargeback with your CC

(3) Paypal still says you owe them the money, because they previously decided against you, and they decide to send you to collections if you don't pay them back the money you just charged back

That is -- your recourse doesn't double by having both your CC and Paypal as a middleman -- instead it will most likely stop with Paypal.

And I strongly suspect, that if any of us fully read the Paypal terms and conditions, we all likely signed up to have to accept whatever Paypal's findings are in a dispute (i.e. we potentially forfeit chargeback justification against them as part of the agreement -- though admittedly, I've never cared enough to read that in detail, because there isn't enough at stake for me to worry about it)

So generally, I would rather cut out the middleman (that in fact, represents an extra vulnerability) and just deal with CC issuers, who have legal requirements around specific cc-related consumer protections.

Thanks for the info, I've made a note for myself to look into it

Why is it that every time eBay changes something it makes it harder, more annoying, and more expensive to deal with them? No way they are getting access to my main bank account, and it's hard to be bothered enough to set up a separate account and make sure it has a balance to avoid fees, etc. No wonder their business is dying off, just another nail in their coffin I suppose. I wish there were a better alternative to them and Amazon for a large potential market.

20 hours ago, elprincipe said:

Why is it that every time eBay changes something it makes it harder, more annoying, and more expensive to deal with them? No way they are getting access to my main bank account, and it's hard to be bothered enough to set up a separate account and make sure it has a balance to avoid fees, etc. No wonder their business is dying off, just another nail in their coffin I suppose. I wish there were a better alternative to them and Amazon for a large potential market.

I don't understand a lot of these companies. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They're always making things harder, changing layouts for no reason, adding features that no one wants or uses. My bank has changed the layout of their website 2 or 3 times in as many years and it gets less intuitive with more clicks to do stuff every time.

I also find the game search function absolutely terrible when you're trying to list something on eBay. I searched a game the other day and it had the PAL and NTSC-J releases, the sequels, and every other game that was remotely related, but not the NTSC-U version. It's almost like they're trolling you. It happens with very common games too.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Like 2