IGNORED

Movie Debate #49: Die Hard

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

Can I get an objective reason why this is a Christmas film? All I know is that people that LOVE this film always claim it is. I know it's set at Christmas time, but there has to be at least another reason or two for this to be remotely Chistmasy.

And no, I've never seen it. It's just always felt like people like to say it's a Christmas movie cause it's set around the time of Christmas. Thanks.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Both Die Hard and Die Hard 2: Die Harder are 10s.  I watch em both every year and I don't know if there are any other movies I can say that about.  The 2 best Christmas movies of alltime and I can't really say one is better than the other.  I have some big nostalgia for both flicks.  Every year, my dad and I would get together to watch one or the other (or both) and drink beers and eat lit'l smokies.  As is tradition.

Edited by JamesRobot

I give it an 8 - really solid action flick that moves along fast enough that you don't stop to think about the absurdity of it all.  And the plot is engaging enough that you don't get bored with the action.

------------------------------------------------------

Being set at Christmas sets up one of the key scenes in the movie whilst simultaneously providing a choice bit of black humor.

Also, being set at Christmas makes the McClanes' reuniting at the end all the more poignant.  Not to mention the teddy bear.

I view it as a movie that happens to be set at Christmas rather than a Christmas movie per se - but I can see why people would view it as a Christmas movie.

Other movies have been become identified as a Christmas movies even it they have little to do with Christmas other than being set at Christmas time.

This movie is a heartwarming one so it falls into the ""be of good cheer" category.

Edited by Tabonga

Editorials Team · Posted
53 minutes ago, RH said:

Can I get an objective reason why this is a Christmas film? All I know is that people that LOVE this film always claim it is. I know it's set at Christmas time, but there has to be at least another reason or two for this to be remotely Chistmasy.

And no, I've never seen it. It's just always felt like people like to say it's a Christmas movie cause it's set around the time of Christmas. Thanks.

This is the key takeaway

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, RH said:

I can help you with this.  First, it has Christmas music, and one of my favorite Christmas tunes to boot: 

And while it's not an up front theme, the story revolves around family and the reunion of an estranged mom and dad (John and Holly McClane).  

You have Christmas snow as the movie ends.  (Symbolically as the stolen bearer bonds snow down from the top of Nakatomi.)

And finally, you have not one but two Christmas miracles.  The obvious one as the lone hero defeats the band of terrorist/thieves against all odds.  And of course the Christmas miracle that is bestowed upon Hans Gruber as he receives his Christmas wish, the FBI.

RoGBDt3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6/10

I do love action movies but this one (Die Hard series in general) never captured my attention/imagination like some (I am/was a big fan of Jackie Chan movies and Heist Flicks (Ocean's 11 2001 being my all time favorite lol)

Still an alright movie though.

9 hours ago, RH said:

8 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I can help you with this.  First, it has Christmas music, and one of my favorite Christmas tunes to boot: 

And while it's not an up front theme, the story revolves around family and the reunion of an estranged mom and dad (John and Holly McClane).  

You have Christmas snow as the movie ends.  (Symbolically as the stolen bearer bonds snow down from the top of Nakatomi.)

And finally, you have not one but two Christmas miracles.  The obvious one as the lone hero defeats the band of terrorist/thieves against all odds.  And of course the Christmas miracle that is bestowed upon Hans Gruber as he receives his Christmas wish, the FBI.

RoGBDt3.jpg

This ☝️ it is actually quite central to the plot of the movie that it is taking place on Christmas Eve. That alone qualifies it for me.

Also it qualifies this better movie as a Christmas movie for the same reasons 😛

Easy 10 for me.  One of my favorites of all time.  The first time I watched it was by accident.  I was pretty young (probably too young to watch it) and my parents had a copy.  I put it in thinking it was something else (I have no idea anymore what I thought I was going to watch), but I ended up watching the entire thing and I loved it.  It has never gotten old for me.  I still love it to this day.  

Die Hard.gif

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

Here's an amusing scene from the obscure (i.e. low budget) science fiction time travel film "Trancers" (aka "Future Cop") - stars a very young Helen Hunt in the movie.

It is actually a fairly good movie (for what it is) - there were several sequels - none of which was nearly as good as the first one.

Edited by Tabonga

It's one of those movies where you think back on it and it's like yeah, it's a classic action movie - good 80s braindead violence romp, etc.

But then you rewatch it and you realise just how amazingly brilliant it is, and how much we took that stuff for granted back then.

Die Hard is not just a masterpiece, but also a lightning in a bottle, and one of the most influential action movies ever.

9/10

• Like 1

My wife and I make it a point to watch this every Christmas. Fantastic movie, never gets old, rather clever - one of the aspects that really sets it apart from most action films.

As to the question about more reason(s) than it being Christmas Eve in the film that makes it a Christmas film, the biggest reason for me is (and there are a few already mentioned in the thread) that the Christmas party is the vehicle for John's involvment and the reason the villains take over Nakatomi specifically on that evening (as they say in the film, 'everyone's gone home early for the holiday' and only the executive branch are left for the party); without Christmas as the vehicle, there's no event.

Amongst those who've seen the film, I'm not really sure why there's a debate about whether or not this is a Christmas film other than for some to be contrarian.