IGNORED

Sequel Showdown #2 - Donkey Kong Country

AstralSoul

Sequel Showdown #2 - Donkey Kong Country  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Donkey Kong Country game?

• Donkey Kong Country
    • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

DKC is one of my absolute favorite series and without them I might not have been the gamer I am today as they were some of the most influential games on a gaming and personal level.

I love all of them but I go back and forth between 2&3 as my favorite. I know 3 gets a lot of flack for reusing the same old formula and for Kiddy Kong and less of an atmospheric tone but I genuinely love it.

But I see why 2 is often cited as the best. It did everything 1 did right and then some. The soundtrack alone is one of the best in all of gaming, in my opinion. The level design is near flawless in my opinion as well.

It's incredibly hard for me to choose between 2&3 as ive said but today I went with 3 because I replay it the most, I know it like the back of my hand, I love the level design and soundtrack, and I actually like Kiddy Kong. I know objectively 3 is probably the least best but this is a favorites poll so I went with it, even though 2 I equally as amazing to me.

The entire series is honestly among the best in the platforming genre.

Which is my favorite? Almost certainly DKC. Some of that is owed to nostalgia and familiarity but I think it is also the most solid in terms of accessibility and challenge.

Which is the "best"? Probably DKC2, even though I think not all of it gels together as well as some of the others.

Returns and Tropical Freeze are also both fantastic, although they feel different enough in control and rhythm from the earlier games that I can't say that I prefer them. They are very obviously their own kind of game...one that pays a loving homage to the original series. I can respect that.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Objectively speaking DKC 2 is certainly the best in almost every way, but the poll asks for "favorite" so I had to vote DKC 1. It's less of an adventure/exploration game and more of an "arcady" style run 'n gun, so I go back to it quite a bit and can play through it in a couple of hours.  I also really like being able to actually play as DK in a DK game.  Ergo, much like the Goldeneye games (Perfect Dark is "better" but Goldeneye has all the magic) DKC 2 is "better" but DKC 1 is the one for me...

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
41 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

and Dixie plays a rockin’ solo after each level. 

F21F234A141405170310D9E652D5441D91E0C2E19cb3hPM.gif

I also went with DKC2 as my favorite, but it was honestly kind of hard to pick. They're all 9 or 10/10 games of a similar caliber, none of them are even close to being outright bad.

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 2

I played 1+2 so much as a kid. I didn't even know about 3 until 2011-2012ish. But it became my favorite. I love the level design, the slight bit of "free roaming" allowing you to see the world in a more full way, the bird collecting and trade sequences as a little side thing to do. Everything was awesome to me. The one spot it lacks is music, its not bad but isn't in the same league as the first two

• Like 1

Original, third, second, and well the other two...ehhh, no.  I have the WiiU/3DS one and those twits did the asinine 'nes hard' style with it and it's aggravating as hell but controls a little too loose for the abuse.

I still think the original had the best balance, but the third is far more along its lines than the second which just I found more obnoxious with the collect-a-thon toll booth garbage which was a huge put off.  Also on the whole, really sucks taking DK out of DKC, what a waste.