IGNORED

Sequel Showdown #2 - Donkey Kong Country

AstralSoul

Sequel Showdown #2 - Donkey Kong Country  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Donkey Kong Country game?

• Donkey Kong Country
    • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

3 is great and I'd go 2 > 3 > 1 with all of the trilogy being 9/10 or better, it's just hard to argue 3 > 2 in a lot of ways. For more superficial aspects, the aesthetic is less striking, the music generally agreed worse, and Kiddy being lame. The levels also got a lot more gimmicky, sometimes in ways that don't really even relate to the game's core mechanics, which some people aren't gonna be in for. I feel Rambi being replaced by Ellie encapsulates a lot about the direction 3 went in.

DKCR seemed like a reasonably good game but I wasn't really a fan and only beat it once. Waggle controls were obviously dumb but I think it was more than that. Rambi as the only animal buddy, no underwater stages, and bonus stages being very basic and repetitive simplify things even more than DKC1. I don't think that was likely the right direction for the franchise (since 2 did the opposite and was better and all) but even trying to roll with the more straightforward action vibe they were going for I don't recall being particularly impressed by the readability of the stages or the way the game flowed. The aesthetic didn't gel with me either; haven't really analyzed it but I just kinda thought the 3D models, while more detailed looked worse, than the prerendered stuff in the SNES games. And the Tikis were lame. Been a long while though.

• Like 1

Huge fan of DKC2, but after playing thru Tropic Freeze multiple times it is my pick.  

They did a great job creating continuity between levels (ie dry windstorm creating fires in the following stages).

Controls are perfect, music fantastic (Windmill Hills is on another level), and the challenge just right.

For me, Tropic Freeze is a top 10 all time game.

• Like 3

Something I forgot to mention when talking about DKC 3. It was the game where I found a way for my girlfriend and me to enjoy playing together more. She enjoys certain games but gets frustrated on platformers from dying to much. So I have the guide for the game and she was my map man while i played. It was really fun for both us cause she got to see the game without the frustration and I didnt have to payse to look at the guide. Was a really good time

I booted up DKC3 for the first time in probably 10 years as a result of this thread and I was reminded of just how much the "new" map screen style annoys me. I get that they were going for a more "open, immersive" feel but I just find it clumsy and time-wasting. Just draw me a line to the next stage like the previous games. I don't want to have to swim and wander around the prerendered map trying to find my way to the next bit of game play.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 3:23 AM, Webhead123 said:

I booted up DKC3 for the first time in probably 10 years as a result of this thread and I was reminded of just how much the "new" map screen style annoys me. I get that they were going for a more "open, immersive" feel but I just find it clumsy and time-wasting. Just draw me a line to the next stage like the previous games. I don't want to have to swim and wander around the prerendered map trying to find my way to the next bit of game play.

I'm currently experiencing exactly the same thing with Wario Land 3. Now, Wario Land 3 is also really tries to be "open world". But I hate the map, feels like a 15-puzzle with a twist.