IGNORED

Cryptocurrency thread

phart010

Administrator · Posted
Just now, MiamiSlice said:

Why???

I'm thinking of moving a lot, if not all, to BAT. I want to not just look at crypto as an investment monetarily, I want to think of it as an investment in something I believe in. 

I don't have any personal reason for BTC, but I do want to see Brave succeed, and I have good reason to believe that long term it will. So I want to put my money where my mouth is, literally. 

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm thinking of moving a lot, if not all, to BAT. I want to not just look at crypto as an investment monetarily, I want to think of it as an investment in something I believe in. 

I don't have any personal reason for BTC, but I do want to see Brave succeed, and I have good reason to believe that long term it will. So I want to put my money where my mouth is, literally. 

How comes pretty much every time I come into this thread people are investing in yet another different crypto that I've never heard of, lol!

Like, literally, you could probably type in ANY random string of 3 letters and it would be an acronym for some coin or other! 🤣

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, OptOut said:

How comes pretty much every time I come into this thread people are investing in yet another different crypto that I've never heard of, lol!

Like, literally, you could probably type in ANY random string of 3 letters and it would be an acronym for some coin or other! 🤣

image.png

• Wow! 1

22 hours ago, Gloves said:

I don't know how much bitcoin you have, but is holding onto it an option?

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't know how much bitcoin you have, but is holding onto it an option?

1. I don't have a ton or anything. I have like $1000 in it. I also have a similar amount in ETH.
  2. Yeah, I can hold it all I want.

I'm not in financial crisis or anything, I just don't have any personal love for BTC itself. I was thinking that it makes sense to put my money behind something I actively believe in, and right now that's BAT specifically.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

On September 7, El Salvador will become the first country to recognize Bitcoin as legal tender.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lawrencewintermeyer/2021/08/05/could-developing-nations-follow-el-salvadors-move-to-bitcoin/?sh=879644328b70

And so twas that I held onto my BTC. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:53 AM, DoctorEncore said:

Still holding my last 5 ETH and enjoying the ride. I've got a bunch of money in USDC in my Voyager account earning 10% interest waiting for a nice dip.

I'm still sitting on my 2.3 bitcoin. I'd like to get to 2.5 by the end of the year, but I'm not in a hurry to buy more over $50k.

On 8/29/2021 at 11:28 PM, Code Monkey said:

On September 7, El Salvador will become the first country to recognize Bitcoin as legal tender.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lawrencewintermeyer/2021/08/05/could-developing-nations-follow-el-salvadors-move-to-bitcoin/?sh=879644328b70

I wonder if that's the reason for the price action today?

On 9/6/2021 at 5:53 AM, jonebone said:

For you crypto folks, where do hold it and how do you claim it on taxes?  I'm thinking about adding a little to the portfolio in tax year 22 and figured I'd ask.

I use Coinbase Pro and Voyager as my exchanges and Exodus Wallet and MetaMask for more obscure purchases.

Coinbase Pro is NOT the same as regular Coinbase. It is the only crypto exchange (that I know of) that lets you place stop orders, which is obviously a must if you're going to day trade. They are the big player in the American crypto industry, so they will supply you with your tax forms at the end of the year.

I use Voyager for my long term holdings since they give fantastic interest on a lot of coins (https://www.investvoyager.com/blog/september-annual-percent-rewards/). I will actually leave my unspent money in dollar-pegged USDC since it earns 9% interest. On the flip side, they are slow to process withdrawals and I wouldn't rely on them for day trading. Thankfully, they are a publicly traded company (OTC markets) with readily available quarterly financials, so they are safe to use. I'm not sure how they generate tax forms since I've only started using them this year.

From a tax standpoint, it's probably best to pay for crypto tax software if you plan to be transferring around to different wallets and exchanges. If not, I'd recommend tracking purchases and sales in an app or Excel.

If you really want to get into the weeds, you can look at wallets and UniSwap. If you just want to buy and hold, go with Coinbase or Voyager.