IGNORED

Game Debate #33: Luigi's Mansion

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

Administrator · Posted

I gave it a 9, because I LOOOOVE this game so much.  It was such an interesting and innovative game at the time, and a very cool twist / spinoff from the mario universe.  It is one of my favorite Gamecube games, and I encourage anyone to try it!  It's just super charming, has a very cool and innovative gameplay style for the time, and is just lots of fun!

• Like 2

9/10

One of many awesome games for the GameCube, and one that I've played almost every year since 2001. Like the animations, the different rooms, and little touches throughout. Also has a large amount of interesting unused content that can be accessed with Action Replay (anyone remember the Game Boy Horror Clock?).

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

I guess I just didn't have a great experience with LM. It was new and unique, so that's good, but I felt like I had to go over the same areas over and over to find what I was looking for, and it was kind of a chore to push through to the end. There's fun to be had, but I have no desire to revisit it.

• Like 1

Never played it, but it's on my list.

There are, however, to things I can say without having played it:

1) I hate the cover art.

2) I wish I could be present in the meeting where whoever thought about the idea shared it with the other developers. "So, yeah, we need a Mario launch game. How about this: instead of Mario let's make Luigi the main character. I think we should make him fight Boos in an some old mansion setting. Also, let's give him a vacuum cleaner to do this. What do you think?".

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sg17 said:

Never played it, but it's on my list.

There are, however, to things I can say without having played it:

1) I hate the cover art.

2) I wish I could be present in the meeting where whoever thought about the idea shared it with the other developers. "So, yeah, we need a Mario launch game. How about this: instead of Mario let's make Luigi the main character. I think we should make him fight Boos in an some old mansion setting. Also, let's give him a vacuum cleaner to do this. What do you think?".

It's not like they just HAD a Mario game ready to go and they went with Luigi's mansion instead... Even when Mario Sunshine came out like a year later it was obviously rushed out the door.

I was there at the GameCube launch, and YES there was an obvious gap in the line-up with no Mario launch title. But it was commonly understood that Luigi's mansion was it's own thing, it was never positioned as "the next Mario".

It's only a shame that the Mario game we DID end up getting didn't feel much like "the next Mario" either, but that's a different story, lol!

• Like 1