IGNORED

Survey Regarding the Potential of a New Video Game Grader in the Market

12 hours ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

Hell yes they are (too busy at the bank to update the home page of the website even) but complacency can be the beginning of the end.  

Making fun of your competition is not very professional. I'm creating a competition to Price Charting but I'd never go out of my way to make fun of them, I'd like like to think I could reach out to them with basic business questions if I needed to. They're not going to give up all their secrets but they may welcome another player in the space. Making comments like that will ensure you can never ask Wata for any help with anything at any time, business relationships are crucial for any startup.

12 hours ago, Gloves said:

Keep in mind: It's not JUST a person you're sending to grade. If you're going to grade games, you're going to slab the games. They'd have to bring the slabs, and they'd need to KNOW ahead of time how many of each type to bring. This isn't just a $300 2-way plane ticket.

That said, as I say, a straight up APPRAISAL service would be amazing. Maybe a grading service with a time/date of grade for purely appraisal services, and no slab. 

The current existing market wants their games slabbed so they can sell them.

I and I'm sure others however exist in a whole new, currently (to my knowledge) untapped market which actually intends to KEEP their games FOR LIFE, but would be devastated in case of, say, a flood.

I phoned my insurance company to increase my coverage when all this craziness started and I asked them how I can value a game at $1000 for replacement value. They told me if I keep a spreadsheet of my own personal appraisal of my own games, that's enough for them if I have references to validate them. I also asked if it would work if I got one of my non-professional-but-collector friends to appraise them and they were also fine with that. They don't care as long as someone knowledgeable has appraised them.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Making fun of your competition is not very professional. I'm creating a competition to Price Charting but I'd never go out of my way to make fun of them, I'd like like to think I could reach out to them with basic business questions if I needed to. They're not going to give up all their secrets but they may welcome another player in the space. Making comments like that will ensure you can never ask Wata for any help with anything at any time, business relationships are crucial for any startup.

I phoned my insurance company to increase my coverage when all this craziness started and I asked them how I can value a game at $1000 for replacement value. They told me if I keep a spreadsheet of my own personal appraisal of my own games, that's enough for them if I have references to validate them. I also asked if it would work if I got one of my non-professional-but-collector friends to appraise them and they were also fine with that. They don't care as long as someone knowledgeable has appraised them.

Can you tell me who you're with? That's good info! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Can you tell me who you're with? That's good info! 

Meloche-Monnex (TD)

Just call them up and ask, I spoke with them for quite a while and it's almost always someone that actually speaks English. I tell them what my collection is worth, what it is and what some of the most valuable pieces are worth. They covered it no problem and said they'd give me replacement value in the event of a loss.

FWIW, can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't aiming for sarcastic in my comments. Maybe a bit *sceptical*, but not that. If @VideoGameGradersLLC actually *can* grade CIB at the level of detail I mentioned, that would genuinely be an interesting thing. I just wanted to make sure they understand at least some of us have a pretty high bar for "CIB" and it's not "a box, cart and manual for the same game".

• Like 3

I will begin updating a few games that were part of our testing.  If you look very closely you'll notice some minor tweaks within this group as we continue to fine tune.  Despite how some commentary in this lively chat makes it seem we are not opening our doors tomorrow, we are still early in the process. Here comes what you've been asking for, can't wait to see how this goes....

• Like 2

Super Mario Bros. 2 grading sheet. 

73 Overall

Because I know the scoring system will take a lot of heat as it's new and not how the other guys do it, if you want a per piece grade equivalent, you'll have to do math.  Don't rack your brain I did it for you.

Box 92/120 equates to 76.6

Man 26/40 equates to 65

Cart 28/40 equates to 70

IMG_3832.thumb.jpeg.c31a5b18ff16549346f81f3ebedc7a46.jpeg153606610_ScreenShot2021-03-13at2_40_00PM.png.9f3b3d4272b0378ef1c35b1252244ac8.png

Edited by VideoGameGradersLLC
  • Like 4

10-Yard Fight 84

See grade math on the worksheet.  

I want to do something different (as you've all hammered on - rightfully so) but is a non 100 point based scoring system too confusing?  Do I need always show not just score but grade on the label of each individual part??  Just thinking out loud, I'm sure you'll have opinions - which I do appreciate most of the time.  

IMG_3866.jpeg

• Like 1

What kind of engineer misspells label? That's not professional, kids in the fifth grade can spell label.

Otherwise my opinion is that your grades are 10 points too high on each, I would grade each one 10 lower as those boxes and manuals are pretty bad. I like your style though, I'm excited to see what happens with the finished product.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Code Monkey said:

What kind of engineer misspells label? That's not professional, kids in the fifth grade can spell label.

Otherwise my opinion is that your grades are 10 points too high on each, I would grade each one 10 lower as those boxes and manuals are pretty bad. I like your style though, I'm excited to see what happens with the finished product.

Please look forward to me pointing out every spelling and grammar mistake you make from here on. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, VideoGameGradersLLC said:

Foreign ones 

Yeah I work directly with some really damn smart engineers, and the last thing most give a shit about is the occasional spelling mistake. Too busy actually making shit to worry about petty BS.

• Like 1

Thanks for showing us some updated info! This was much needed to show us how serious you are, rather than just some floating ideas with a fancy website.

2 points I can raise/ask:

1. What’s the percentage range between the -1, -2, -3 ? No matter how objective you want to be, the “knock off” points will forever be the subjective issue.

2. I think for now, a new grading service may be useful if done right. I think your intended market currently is for those with games that are not prominent in HA sales. Or ones that are of poor condition. Those of significant worth, are likely to end up at WATA. So what if there isn’t much interest from the consumer end, would you consider branching out to other platforms instead of only NES?

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It was hyperbole lol, definitely not worth my time. 

I was joking too, language is probably one of the things I'm most critical of myself so I rarely make mistakes. When I got my diagnosis for Asperger's, one of the notes from the psychologist was that she had never met anyone with such proper sentence structure.

I was playing Immortals Fenyx Rising last night and made it to a point where the game told me, "This Myth Challenge is required to progress further up the mountain." I debated with myself if I was going to let the developers know they incorrectly used further instead of farther. I don't know how that got through testing.

@VideoGameGradersLLC I like everything I see so far. 

I was pretty skeptical at first, but seeing some proof makes me feel much more like you are serious about it. 

Im curious to see what (if any) design you have that would show proof of tamper. I understand if its proprietary or secret right now and you dont want to share, though. 

I would probably be open to trying your service. 

• Like 2