IGNORED

Anyone Seen These Rare Kiosks Before?

Picked up a couple rare kiosks this month. Can't find any pictures or information on either of them. Anyone else have one of these or seen them anywhere?

NTRM04ND DUAL INLINE:

Looks like a wall-mounted kiosk that's meant to have two DS consoles mounted. Original DS or DS Lite? Same mount as other DS kiosks?

spacer.png

spacer.png

No photo description available.

Atari 5200 Countertop Kiosk:

Looks like it was used in a department store like Sears back in 1982-1984. Seems complete, but am I missing anything?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

18 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That's pretty awesome.  Have you turned it on?  Does it work?  Is the 5200 any different from a normal retail unit?  For example, are the controllers hardwired to it, or are they removable like normal controllers?  They look removable, but hard to say for sure.  

The consoles and controllers are retail and everything works. Here's an image I took without anything attached to the base:

IMG_2377.jpg.31185dd88f0ad5ed6a748a3cb4747eee.jpg

The controllers slide into the two holders on the sides, then the controller cables go underneath and come up through the middle hole. The console sits between the two holders. With the front rubber feet on the console removed, there are holes that those two black pegs slot into, preventing the console from moving. The power/video/audio cable clips to the right back side of the console and goes through the hole in the back of the base.

• Like 2

The Atari stuff is harder to come by, but that DS one was pretty common in both retail multi stuff bigbox places, but also some gamestops had them mounted too on the racks with the games.   You're missing a lot of it, the rest of the mount, the systems themselves, their demo titles, any other hanging or propped up eye catch stuff too.  Right now it's a nice glow light with an ugly mount sticking out.

I'd see if you can get the missing bits or get it machined as it would be nice I suppose, if you don't mind standing to use a DS.

Personally I wish I had the counter top (either style really) of the GBA.  I could just toss that on my desk or whatever and go to town.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

The Atari stuff is harder to come by, but that DS one was pretty common in both retail multi stuff bigbox places, but also some gamestops had them mounted too on the racks with the games.   You're missing a lot of it, the rest of the mount, the systems themselves, their demo titles, any other hanging or propped up eye catch stuff too.  Right now it's a nice glow light with an ugly mount sticking out.

I'd see if you can get the missing bits or get it machined as it would be nice I suppose, if you don't mind standing to use a DS.

Personally I wish I had the counter top (either style really) of the GBA.  I could just toss that on my desk or whatever and go to town.

What's interesting is that I can't find a single image of this model online. Closest thing I can find is this vertical variant:

image.jpeg.e9311109c999a5d99603fae37a8418a9.jpeg

It seems to have a slightly different mount from what I have on my standing DS kiosk, which is basically just two countertop units on a stand:

Nintendo DS Lite Kiosk

I'm no stranger to doing restoration work and fabricating new parts, so I'm thinking I'll try to make a simple metal mount based on the mount I have on this kiosk. Though I'd like it if I could find some images of the completed unit to compare. Beyond that, I have plenty of consoles and games / demos to use with it.

As for playing on it comfortably, that's not really my purpose for having kiosks. To me, they are interactive display pieces; like signs, but more fun. They add to the atmosphere of a game space, but don't replace the means of playing. They also sometimes come with unique hardware, like kiosk specific consoles or game selectors, which are interesting to toy around with.

EDIT: Someone just reached out to me on another site and supplied me with an image of a more complete unit. Looks like the mounts swivel up and down / rotate. This'll be a fun project to work on.164330095_10167334741480354_1154082293040936941_o.jpg.78a5077d563d2eb26131ce284e838e1c.jpg

Edited by Esquire
  • Like 1

Good info and yeah, there it is, that's what I've seen before with the mounts that move (a nice touch to be more comfortable.)  Ideally finding it would be nice, but a pure match with manufacturing your own is just as great and would be unabused too.  Maybe find a way to mount it to a table or counter of the right height and it could be a comfy display piece to use.