IGNORED

Game Debate #44: Metal Gear Solid

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

11 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I really recommend trying out 4.  As I mentioned before, 2 and 3 were great games, but I never enjoyed either as much as 1.  But when 4 came out, it blew everything out of the water for me.  

You got it!  That one was on PS3, right?  I will have to look into it.

1 minute ago, Sumer said:

You got it!  That one was on PS3, right?  I will have to look into it.

Yes.  That game is the reason why I decided to get a PS3.  I've never been a day 1 adopter, and I knew I would get a PS3 eventually, but when MGS4 came out, that's when I decided to pull the trigger.  I wanted to get one of the gun metal grey PS3 models that was themed around MGS4, but unfortunately, they sold out quick, and I bought a normal fat PS3 (non backwards compatible) about a month after that release.  

Also, I don't want to give much away, but if you played through MGS1 and enjoyed it, you will be in for a pleasant surprise during Act 4.  

• Like 1

8/10

Does MGS1 usually have better voices than TTS? Maybe. I only played through MGS1 once and haven't compared them back to back.

Even if that is the case though, I'd be real hesitant to say its voice acting is better overall.

MGS1 Mei Ling is just that bad.

Edited by MagusSmurf

6 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

8/10

Does MGS1 usually have better voices than TTS? Maybe. I only played through MGS1 once and haven't compared them back to back.

Even if that is the case though, I'd be real hesitant to say its voice acting is better overall.

MGS1 Mei Ling is just that bad.

The voices were rerecorded for the Twin Snakes because the higher quality audio on the GC picked up some noise from the original recordings that you couldn't hear on the PS1 version.  They brought back all of the original actors to play their same roles, with one exception (one actor did two voices in the PS1 version, and he only did one voice in TS).  The new audio in TS used the same script as the original.  However, in my opinion, the voices in the remake sound rushed as if they wanted to get everyone in one take if possible.  Therefore, I rank the voices better in the original than the remake.  

Hmm, played through it once back in the day and really enjoyed it, haven't touched it since and really have no desire to.  The series really went off the rails storywise with MGS2 and that combined with Kojima's constant bullshit and trolling of the fans really alienated me from the series. 

Everyone loves Snake so I'm gonna fuck with them and make you play as this whiny bitch Raiden instead.

Oh you didn't like that, ok you can play as Snake now in MGS3, except no, it's actually not Snake it's Big Boss.

So you still want to play as Snake even though these games are getting dumber and dumber by the minute?  Ok fine, you can play as Snake...except he's super old now and basically a completely different character.

Oh so you actually really liked playing as Big Boss in 3?  Ok we can go back to that except it's not actually big boss it's some fucking random guy in the beginning that magically looks and talks exactly like him.

Kojima is a hack.

5 minutes ago, peg said:

As the years have gone by, I've grown to enjoy the story less and less and sure, if you try to piece everything together from all of the games, it becomes a huge mess.  But I've said it before and I will say it now:  if you hate the story, or even ignore it completely, the gameplay stands on its own and it's still an amazing game.  My opinion of the storyline has little to no bearing on my overall impression of these games.  I'm still comfortable rating them highly.   

Unfortunately I cannot simply ignore the story when it is such a prominent part of this series, and indeed takes up far, far more time that the actual game does.  If I could somehow divorce the first MGS from the rest of the bullshit that followed it I would rate it quite highly, probably an 8/10.  As it stands I'd be more likely to rank it a 5 or 6 based on the fact I will likely never play it again.

Also, it's hard for me to look at the first MSG in isolation now that the "full story" has been told and how stupid and ridiculous everything becomes.  You can only introduce so many retcons and bullshit explanations for everything before I stop caring, and the second game by itself had already surpassed that.

Just some of the stupidity I remember from the second game alone:

Otacon and his creepy relationship with his step mom.  Like seriously, what the fuck was the point of all that?

Ocelot having "Liquid's evil arm" grafted onto his body, something which takes over his entire body and even makes him sound exactly like Liquid Snake. 

The ending where they reveal the patriots died 100 years ago or whatever?  Did they ever even address this or just brush it under the rug with a retcon?

I did like the ending of MGS4 with Snake and Big Boss, despite it making absolutely no sense at all.  The confrontation between the them was probably the only highlight of that entire game, and if the series had more of those moments and less "Liquid's evil arm" and "Big boss is a fraud" type bullshit those games could have been good. 

If they had just let it die there the series would have went out on a very high note with that ending, but they decided to dabble in more trash with that Raiden spinoff game and the Phantom Fraud.

Edited by peg

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, peg said:

Otacon and his creepy relationship with his step mom.  Like seriously, what the fuck was the point of all that?

Ocelot having "Liquid's evil arm" grafted onto his body, something which takes over his entire body and even makes him sound exactly like Liquid Snake. 

The ending where they reveal the patriots died 100 years ago or whatever?  Did they ever even address this or just brush it under the rug with a retcon?

I did like the ending of MGS4 with Snake and Big Boss, despite it making absolutely no sense at all.  The confrontation between the them was probably the only highlight of that entire game, and if the series had more of those moments and less "Liquid's evil arm" and "Big boss is a fraud" type bullshit those games could have been good.

Unfortunately I cannot simply ignore the errors in your post:

- Granted. xD

- Ocelot was acting, in order to manipulate Solid Snake. He psychotherapied himself into believing he was Liquid, at least to a degree.

- You're referring to two separate groups - "The Wise Men", who died around 100 years ago, and "The Patriots" (or the La Li Lu Le Lo) who were formed in the 1970s. The Wise Men were the original Philosophers, and held the Philosopher's Legacy. The Patriots were formed originally as a small group: Big Boss, Zero, Donald Anderson, and Dr. Clark.

- Are you referring to where Solid Snake goes to Big Boss' grave to commit suicide, only to be met by Big Boss himself after Solid fails to pull the trigger? There really wasn't much of a confrontation there, unless you count a really old man CQC'ing another old man, then giving him a hug.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

....And that's not enough to garner a 10/10 out of you!?!?!?!??!  Man, what will it take??? 😛 

He probably thinks 10/10 is reserved for "absolutely perfect" games and believes that no game is perfect.

Of course this would mean he doesn't read the actual descriptions provided for the rankings on the poll.

And that's just not possible.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The voices were rerecorded for the Twin Snakes because the higher quality audio on the GC picked up some noise from the original recordings that you couldn't hear on the PS1 version.  They brought back all of the original actors to play their same roles, with one exception (one actor did two voices in the PS1 version, and he only did one voice in TS).  The new audio in TS used the same script as the original.  However, in my opinion, the voices in the remake sound rushed as if they wanted to get everyone in one take if possible.  Therefore, I rank the voices better in the original than the remake.  

That is a fun fact, I didn’t know that

• Like 2

mgs ps1 will always be one of my all time favorites. 

i was 15 or 16 at that time and this game was everywhere. the pizza hut demo. the times. the game was so fresh. the story is.....japanese...but the first few times you play the game it works and imo is part of what made the game great. from the opening scenes with solid scuba snake to the way snake communicated with other characters. i admit time has not been kind to that part of the game as well as the graphics. 

the gameplay, i assume, was something most of us had never experienced before and that still hold up imo. laying down to crawl through, knocking on walls to elude enemies...BREAKING PEOPLES NECKS!!!...

i know i recognize the greatness of this game through 1998 glasses but i dont think it would be fair to this game and how anyone ranks it to take them off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

He probably thinks 10/10 is reserved for "absolutely perfect" games and believes that no game is perfect.

Of course this would mean he doesn't read the actual descriptions provided for the rankings on the poll.

And that's just not possible.

I read them. 

I'm with @Sumer on this one. Played this about 20+ years ago and really liked it but haven't revisited since. I'd give it a 7 from what I remember. These games were all a little tedious for my taste as I was never able to get through the bulk of 2 or 3... just didn't dig them, especially compared to Resident Evil. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 but it seemed like there were an overwhelming amount of cut scenes and loading which really turned me off from the game. This was also around the time my gaming really started slide as school and other aspects of my life took priority.

• Like 2