IGNORED

Music Debate #117: Jefferson Airplane Starship

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

6 minutes ago, Estil said:

Check out White Rabbit with only her singing (no instruments); it sounds rather haunting...

I remember listening on the radio a discussion of listening to songs as vocals only. This way you apprwciate the vocals much more. The problem I have with it is from hearing this song so many times, it's near impossible to not fill the instrumentals in your head as you listen to this.

• Haha 1

Jefferson Airplane is a pioneer of the psychedelic rock genre. The combination of Jorma's guitar work and songwriting, coupled with Grace Slick's vocal abilities makes them one of my favorites ever. 

this seems to echo what others have said, but the Jefferson Airplane stuff is the highlight of their output. The loss of Jorma and subsequent change to Jefferson Starship was still solid, but noticeably worse (i prefer Hot Tuna to Jefferson Starship). The full-on change to Starship got them a couple big hits, but i don't have any affinity for. Some of the spinoffs are ok, but it's crazy how many times this band splintered and reformed in various versions.

I gave them a 9. I never get sick of JA. I have 4-5 of their albums on vinyl and listen regularly.

• Like 1

So, when I was in high school, way back in 1997, I belonged to a group called "Explorers", which was basically Boy Scout Cops.  I joined to spent more time with my dad, and for a while figured I end up doing this for life, but didn't (which is a story for another time).  But one of the perks was that they used us as Rent-a-Cops for events.  One of those events was a concert for Starship and Survivor.

So I got to see both of those bands in concert from the front row, because I was in uniform, keeping the crowd from jumping on stage.  

Survivor opened, and they were ok.  They did a lot of jazzy stuff I don't think was ever on the radio, and wrapped up with Eye of the Tiger.   Then after a very short break, Starship came on and played most of their old hits, minus the ones they needed for Grace Slick.    About midway through the concert, I realized that the guitarist was the same lead guitarist for Survivor.  I don't know which band he actually belonged to, if he was filling in for someone or what...  But I nudged my partner (whose name was literally, actually, on his birth certificate Junior, welcome to the South), and said "Hey, isn't that the same guy who played for the first band?"  

And he must've been a hell of a lip reader, because he took a second to make eye contact with me, take his hand off his guitar, point at me, and nod.   

And I've had questions ever since.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

So, when I was in high school, way back in 1997, I belonged to a group called "Explorers", which was basically Boy Scout Cops.  I joined to spent more time with my dad, and for a while figured I end up doing this for life, but didn't (which is a story for another time).  But one of the perks was that they used us as Rent-a-Cops for events.  One of those events was a concert for Starship and Survivor.

So I got to see both of those bands in concert from the front row, because I was in uniform, keeping the crowd from jumping on stage.  

Survivor opened, and they were ok.  They did a lot of jazzy stuff I don't think was ever on the radio, and wrapped up with Eye of the Tiger.   Then after a very short break, Starship came on and played most of their old hits, minus the ones they needed for Grace Slick.    About midway through the concert, I realized that the guitarist was the same lead guitarist for Survivor.  I don't know which band he actually belonged to, if he was filling in for someone or what...  But I nudged my partner (whose name was literally, actually, on his birth certificate Junior, welcome to the South), and said "Hey, isn't that the same guy who played for the first band?"  

And he must've been a hell of a lip reader, because he took a second to make eye contact with me, take his hand off his guitar, point at me, and nod.   

And I've had questions ever since.  

Ok, So I did a bit of Googling, and I think it was Survivor's guitarist at the time Frankie Sullivan.  But either way, it was a good concert.

3 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I preferred their earlier stuff (pre Starship) much more.

And i may be only one here who not only  knows what a "jefferson airplane" was but used them on several occasions.  The good old days!

I kind of assumed that Jefferson was the band's founder who finally left when they just became Starship.