IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Can't wait till you get to FF6. It's gonna blow your mind 😄

I've played 6 before...the opening hours multiple times, actually...both in the 90's and in more recent decades and I've more-or-less experienced the entire game, albeit piecemeal through a combination of my own and friends' playthroughs. That said, I've not played it front-to-back with my own two thumbs, so I'm planning to remedy that someday soon.

I like a lot about the game but I will say this...I was pleasantly surprised that Chrono Trigger was a good bit shorter than I expected (about 27 hours for a first blind playthrough). What I remember of FF6, it was definitely on the longer side of 40 hours and with as many characters and storylines as it has going on, that makes me a tad nervous. Part of what I love about Super Mario RPG (and now Chrono) is that the pace stays brisk and the story and game play never seem to outstay their welcome.

But yeah, I'm trying to put a pin in FF4 (another game I've basically experienced in its entirety but not in one sitting) and then I'll make time for FF6. I'm sure I'll enjoy it again (it's been long enough that I've forgotten all but the most central plot points) but I am afraid of it feeling long-winded and grindy.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Webhead123 said:

I've played 6 before...the opening hours multiple times, actually...both in the 90's and in more recent decades and I've more-or-less experienced the entire game, albeit piecemeal through a combination of my own and friends' playthroughs. That said, I've not played it front-to-back with my own two thumbs, so I'm planning to remedy that someday soon.

I like a lot about the game but I will say this...I was pleasantly surprised that Chrono Trigger was a good bit shorter than I expected (about 27 hours for a first blind playthrough). What I remember of FF6, it was definitely on the longer side of 40 hours and with as many characters and storylines as it has going on, that makes me a tad nervous. Part of what I love about Super Mario RPG (and now Chrono) is that the pace stays brisk and the story and game play never seem to outstay their welcome.

But yeah, I'm trying to put a pin in FF4 (another game I've basically experienced in its entirety but not in one sitting) and then I'll make time for FF6. I'm sure I'll enjoy it again (it's been long enough that I've forgotten all but the most central plot points) but I am afraid of it feeling long-winded and grindy.

Thankfully there's no actual need to grind levels until the literal end of the game, at which point you can go to an island where T-Rex and brontosaurus spawn and soak up the exp. 

Return of the Obra Dinn. A detective game that doesn't make connections for you and just says "Hey, let me know when you figure it out." Pretty great. I get Her Story and Riven vibes, mainly because most games hate forcing the player to think or make connections outside of explicit gameplay systems.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Return of the Obra Dinn. A detective game that doesn't make connections for you and just says "Hey, let me know when you figure it out." Pretty great. I get Her Story and Riven vibes, mainly because most games hate forcing the player to think or make connections outside of explicit gameplay systems.

Heard good things about this game. Guess I better move it up the list along with your mention of cruelty squad.

I gotta say...I love about 80% of Donkey Kong Country 2 and I hate the other 20% of it. Most of the stages are pretty fun, some of them are a little ho-hum but otherwise inoffensive. Then there are stages like Windy Well. I haaaaate Windy Well. It's like some practical joke that the designers wanted to pull on the internal test group and then they forgot to remove it from the final release. "Here. Try this stage and tell me what you think. *snicker*" Ugh.

Edited by Webhead123

1 hour ago, Webhead123 said:

I gotta say...I love about 80% of Donkey Kong Country 2 and I hate the other 20% of it. Most of the stages are pretty fun, some of them are a little ho-hum but otherwise inoffensive. Then there are stages like Windy Well. I haaaaate Windy Well. It's like some practical joke that the designers wanted to pull on the internal test group and then they forgot to remove it from the final release. "Here. Try this stage and tell me what you think. *snicker*" Ugh.

There are moments like that in Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (which I'm re-playing at the moment). I love that game, but then I look at a pointless level like Astro Jones that just doesn't need to be in the game. There's nothing really interesting about the stage, it's probably the blandest stage in the whole game. Also, it's a little annoying to play through if you're obsessively trying to grab every coin like I do as it's extremely easy to miss a few given how fast you're moving and how tight the timing is when you have to move from track to track.

Aside from that level, there are also annoying moments in the game where they want you to use a gadget while simultaneously moving Astro Bot around and it feels like the game is asking players to juggle too much at once.

The game is still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had though, and an all time favorite of mine, but it has its annoying moments. 

19 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I love the art style, the music, but could just not get into the story. It seemed overly violent to me, but hey, maybe that's just my sensibilities. Also, I just remember getting bored 🙂

But that said, I feel we need more games of such creativity.

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I love the art style, the music, but could just not get into the story. It seemed overly violent to me, but hey, maybe that's just my sensibilities. Also, I just remember getting bored 🙂

But that said, I feel we need more games of such creativity.

It is very violent! I mean, it's about the explicit deaths of 40+ people. And yeah, it's definitely a game about walking around the same environments over and over looking for details you missed the first time. I haven't beaten it and can't imagine how I'm going to figure out what happened to some of the nameless faces in the story 👀

Dragon Warrior I & II SNES - 5/10

Had played the GBC version of the remake before but never this one. It's way more tolerable than the NES versions but doesn't really ever rise above "okay." Also the English patch that doesn't have ridiculous glitches still lacks a proper "English localization", so you get nonsense like the DQ1 villain being "King Dragon." Have some goddamn sense, translators. This is DQ1, not a ProZD sketch.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - 4/10

Having a "beginner RPG" with relatively simple mechanics, lowish difficulty, and good QoL was an idea that made sense.

They way overdid it though and also forgot to attach those things to an actually good game.

Deltarune. 

I like how it subverts your existential expectations in the beginning 😆 

Really good, cute adventure game with cool sprites and some simple but honestly beautiful art. Fantasy dark world that looks like a CGA DOS game. 

I usually don't like turn-based combat, but here it controls like a party game or Paper Mario, which I do like.

This is very family friendly but it's not dumb or annoying, it's smart, and I think it's even a little emotionally intelligent. 

At the beginning it says only for people who played Undertale, which I haven't but I've had no trouble understanding anything.

10 hours ago, Link said:

Deltarune. 

I like how it subverts your existential expectations in the beginning 😆 

Really good, cute adventure game with cool sprites and some simple but honestly beautiful art. Fantasy dark world that looks like a CGA DOS game. 

I usually don't like turn-based combat, but here it controls like a party game or Paper Mario, which I do like.

This is very family friendly but it's not dumb or annoying, it's smart, and I think it's even a little emotionally intelligent. 

At the beginning it says only for people who played Undertale, which I haven't but I've had no trouble understanding anything.

I’m interested in this because I love Undertale but have no interest in episodic games. I need him to just finish it. It’s on George RR Martin pace right now.

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The original was fun?

I certainly thought so! Of course I greatly enjoy a good Metroidvania and I thought Blasphemous was one of the best. Some call it a 2D Souls-like and eh, okay, it's challenging but not that challenging 🙂

The big draws for me was the story which was certainly unique and disturbing -- the art and music which takes inspiration from Basque culture -- the exploration which I thought was excellent -- and the challenge which had it's moments but you never felt "well, it's just too hard!"