IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Top 8/9

BeaIank

35 minutes ago, Krunch said:

I think the name Albatross is superior because the bird itself was a symbol of incredible luck by sailors in the old world since they were thought to be able to guide ships.  In Samuel Taylor's Coolidge's poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner an albatross appears while the mariner is stranded in a dire situation, and he ends up murdering it.  It's always stuck out to me as a strong symbol.  In golf translation it's an incredibly lucky thing to get.  If you bomb a round after getting an albatross, you've essentially killed it.

Double Eagle just makes no sense to me cause it's -3 not -2*2

Double Eagle could be a coding trick too though...instead of having to display a new phrase, they could simply call up the "double" part of the double bogey and reference "eagle" instead of "bogey."  This wouldn't make a huge difference, but on those early games the handful of bytes saved by not having to display a word that would almost never appear is a huge savings in terms of code.

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Is there a game with more spartan audio than Golf in the entire NES library?  It's literally dead silence interspersed with one-second Atari bloops and bleeps every once in a while...

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Honestly, I kinda dig that part of the game - makes it feel more real.

10 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Is there a game with more spartan audio than Golf in the entire NES library?  It's literally dead silence interspersed with one-second Atari bloops and bleeps every once in a while...

I like how realistic it is. They captured the bleeps and bloops of real Golf perfectly. They also nailed how a game of Tennis sounds suspiciously like playing Pong.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I swear I hate the 18th hole. I got there with a -10, -10 and -12 only to blow it on all three attempts. On my fourth game I got there with a -6 and ended up getting a birdie. Hopefully I can put it all together in one run before Sunday.

I actually find the 18th hole to be a slight reprieve after the shitstorms of the earlier holes.  But maybe that's just me.

48 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I actually find the 18th hole to be a slight reprieve after the shitstorms of the earlier holes.  But maybe that's just me.

Almost every time I get there I end up with double digit wind. I managed to get par on 18 this last run and not ruin my overall score so that's probably enough Golf for me this week.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 11/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, NESfiend said:

Oh im pretty damn good at golf, but Ive never played the other 2, so plenty of opportunity to get points on me. This format is freaking awesome. 

I just beat my personal best by 1 shot. It's still nowhere near the top scores from the past contests though. At least I can spend the weekend watching football uninterrupted now.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

So only 5 people have scores listed so far, and only two have scores in all three games...and since there's no way I'll beat @bertsampson, my score is likely to be irrelevant to the competition anyway, so I might as well do an unofficial scoreboard up...

@Bearcat-Doug = 17
@bertsampson = 14
@the_wizard_666 = 4
@Dr. Morbis = 3 (no score in Tennis, -2 factored in)
@NESfiend = 0 (no score on Tennis or Golf, -2 factored in)

So with no changes, the top four are @Bearcat-Doug, @bertsampson, @Dr. Morbis, and @NESfiend, by nature of being the only ones to make submissions.  Note that incomplete scores may also be voided per @BeaIank's earlier post, so the only ones confirmed would be @Bearcat-Doug and @bertsampson.  Also, because of that requirement, if a complete submission comes in, I will rank that higher than any incomplete submission on the board, so start getting those pictures up people!

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So only 5 people have scores listed so far, and only two have scores in all three games...and since there's no way I'll beat @bertsampson, my score is likely to be irrelevant to the competition anyway, so I might as well do an unofficial scoreboard up...

@Bearcat-Doug = 17
@bertsampson = 14
@the_wizard_666 = 5 (no score on Tennis or Soccer, -2  factored in)
@Dr. Morbis = 3 (no score in Tennis, -2 factored in)
@NESfiend = 0 (no score on Tennis or Golf, -2 factored in)

So with no changes, the top four are @Bearcat-Doug, @bertsampson, @Dr. Morbis, and @NESfiend, by nature of being the only ones to make submissions.  Note that incomplete scores may also be voided per @BeaIank's earlier post, so the only ones confirmed would be @Bearcat-Doug and @bertsampson.  Also, because of that requirement, if a complete submission comes in, I will rank that higher than any incomplete submission on the board, so start getting those pictures up people!

Everyone in the top 7 of the sports leaderboard is playing this week so I'm sure there will be some really high scores by Sunday night.

24 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Everyone in the top 7 of the sports leaderboard is playing this week so I'm sure there will be some really high scores by Sunday night.

I don't see myself getting better at either of the other games, so I'd need at least a -17 (a birdie on almost every hole) on Golf to have a chance at topping Bert.  I did compete in the other two games to give myself a legitimate score, but I have an infinitesimally small chance at seeing the finals.  Also, the sports bracket this year didn't cover any true skill games, which is how I ended up in second place despite not competing in one of the games, so I wouldn't use the bracket standings as an indicator of ability in this round 😛

12 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I don't see myself getting better at either of the other games, so I'd need at least a -17 (a birdie on almost every hole) on Golf to have a chance at topping Bert.  I did compete in the other two games to give myself a legitimate score, but I have an infinitesimally small chance at seeing the finals.  Also, the sports bracket this year didn't cover any true skill games, which is how I ended up in second place despite not competing in one of the games, so I wouldn't use the bracket standings as an indicator of ability in this round 😛

I'm likely done since any improvement I can make to my Soccer or Golf scores are minimal. I doubt I'm going to win the round, but hopefully I can hang on to make the top four.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm likely done since any improvement I can make to my Soccer or Golf scores are minimal. I doubt I'm going to win the round, but hopefully I can hang on to make the top four.

Yeah, I am not likely to get very far in Tennis without a ton of practice.  Soccer I might be able to eke out a tie, but I honestly have no idea how to maintain possession, nevermind score a goal.  Factoring the -2 from Tennis, I'd still need a -16 in Golf to tie Bert's total score, meaning I'm pretty much screwed.  I'd have to beat him to advance regardless of my placement.  Unless...

Hey @BeaIank and @guillavoie, what happens if me and @bertsampson tie our scores in this round?  Do we both advance, or would there be a tiebreaker in place?  My understanding is that only one of us can move forward, and even though the likelihood of me pulling out even a draw is slim to none, there isn't any indication of what would happen in the event of a draw between the two of us.  Just in case such a circumstance ever comes up again in the future, having a precedent to fall back on may help with future rulings.

Well I finally shot under par, it aint much but im adding it to my front page post.  Let a few birdie putts slip by, including one that went off the green and resulted in a bogey.  Anyway I'm on hole 7 of a new run right now and I eagled 5 and just birdied 6 (i find hole 6 kinda tough to birdie usually). 

Just hit -10 for the first time ever.  I need to practice the back half though...I can pretty consistently get the front nine with at least a -8 or so, but the back half only has a couple "easy" holes, and there's a few that you really need to get lucky with the wind to have a hope of doing well.  Still, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game...wish the other two were as engaging.

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Factoring the -2 from Tennis, I'd still need a -16 in Golf to tie Bert's total score;;;

Did you learn nothing from what just happened to you in Round 1?  That's not Bert's final score.  If you just gave it your all and didn't worry about how anybody else performed, you'd be in Round 2 legit and Bert would be sitting on the sidelines where the rest of us wouldn't have to deal with him...

34 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Did you learn nothing from what just happened to you in Round 1?  That's not Bert's final score.  If you just gave it your all and didn't worry about how anybody else performed, you'd be in Round 2 legit and Bert would be sitting on the sidelines where the rest of us wouldn't have to deal with him...

There's no way that 0 Soccer score is staying considering that he won the 2018 contest with 14 goals even though they played on skill level 3. The -12 Golf score is the same as he got back in 2016 so it might be his real one.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

43 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I learned that I came close to advancing despite having no business being in the tournament.  And I really didn't want to play Keroppi again, so you were probably gonna be dealing with @bertsampson this round, with or without me.

5 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I learned that I came close to advancing despite having no business being in the tournament.  And I really didn't want to play Keroppi again, so you were probably gonna be dealing with @bertsampson this round, with or without me.

Naw, you straight up said when you posted your score that you eased off the throttle once you saw Bert's early score...

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Naw, you straight up said when you posted your score that you eased off the throttle once you saw Bert's early score...

While that's true, I also didn't want to play it again.  He could've posted his score with enough time for me to go back and improve and I still wouldn't have been arsed to try.  I was done with the game the second I posted.

Anyway, I have no idea how Soccer works...I couldn't even score on difficulty 1, and gaining possession is a minor miracle even then...so in conclusion, I'm done...unless I can pull off a miracle run on Golf, I have zero hope of success here.  Guess I'm just gonna focus on school work instead.

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Hey @BeaIank and @guillavoie, what happens if me and @bertsampson tie our scores in this round?  Do we both advance, or would there be a tiebreaker in place?

From the first post:

"Tie breaker, if needed, will be decided by the players Weekly Contest Geral standings. The player with the highest Geral standing will be considered the winner in case of a tie. "

One more reason to put a little effort into the regular season.  As the #1 seed, all I have to do is tie for fourth and I'm in... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

From the first post:

"Tie breaker, if needed, will be decided by the players Weekly Contest Geral standings. The player with the highest Geral standing will be considered the winner in case of a tie. "

One more reason to put a little effort into the regular season.  As the #1 seed, all I have to do is tie for fourth and I'm in... 😛

I clearly didn't read that part 😆  So I will need a stupidly high level Golf score to have a hope in hell at this point, since the best I can hope for in Soccer is to keep it scoreless, and I have zero hope of pulling off a win of any sort in Tennis to neutralize the -2.  Ah well, was fun while it lasted...though I'm still gonna keep trying on Golf to see how good I can get...

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

From the first post:

That actually concerns me since anyone could tie me for fourth and I'd be the one eliminated. I have a feeling that my current 17 point score is going to be right around the cutoff point.