IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Grand Finals

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

@BeaIank @guillavoie

Does 3-1 vs 3-2 make any difference in scoring? I don't want to update to a lower score. Also, 3 is stupidly difficult. I have really enjoyed the game though. 

The way the rules are worded, I would say that there's no difference between a 3-1 and 3-2 run, you have to add 10:00 minutes for not beating stage 3. But, just in case, post both of your runs so we can decide which of them is the best.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, guillavoie said:

The way the rules are worded, I would say that there's no difference between a 3-1 and 3-2 run, you have to add 10:00 minutes for not beating stage 3. But, just in case, post both of your runs so we can decide which of them is the best.

That's why I figured the progress still mattered.  3-2 is further than 3-1, and should be treated as such.  The tie-breaker is then the time. Otherwise, what's the point of putting a 3-2 finish in if the guy that died at the start of 3-1 is gonna have a better time overall than the one who actually made it further into the game?

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That's why I figured the progress still mattered.  3-2 is further than 3-1, and should be treated as such.  The tie-breaker is then the time. Otherwise, what's the point of putting a 3-2 finish in if the guy that died at the start of 3-1 is gonna have a better time overall than the one who actually made it further into the game?

Yes, that's what I think too, I just think Bea forgot to mention the sub-stages in the rules, hence why I'm not taking any chance for now and asked NesFiend to post both of his runs.

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

What, for the next time we play Batman?

No, I mean if someone where to post a decent video of them beating Batman now, the others could learn from it to do better before Sunday's deadline.

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Another reason to hold off posting.  Although in fairness, Batman has been done to death online, so I doubt any of us has come up with something better 😛

Yes and no. Of course there are hundreds of completion videos, but not many of them are people trying to speedrun Batman at our level. I can't learn a whole lot from watching the WR speedrun, because there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to learn all that in a week. Whereas, I'm sure we all have some of our own strats that aren't optimal, but still pretty fast while being consistent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

You guys no death this thing yet?

Yeah I did yesterday. For some reason, today I keep losing runs to Joker even though I was beating him consistently before. I've gone back at figured out a better strategy I think, so I'll see if I can get some faster runs done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah I did yesterday. For some reason, today I keep losing runs to Joker even though I was beating him consistently before. I've gone back at figured out a better strategy I think, so I'll see if I can get some faster runs done.

I think I got a decent idea with ole jokie boy, I’ve beat him a few times now. I had to figure out the fella before jokie too (it’s a super slow strat though). 

if I can polish up stage three/boss I might have a shot at a no death.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Has anyone asked “why is Batman purple?” Lol

I've had the same thought. I assume the answer is the NES palette is limited.

In other news, I finally got a run on a decent pace through to the end. No clue if it's fast enough to beat Bert and Ernie, but I'm happy with it at least. I've had slightly faster runs die to Joker, but they were only ~15 seconds faster. I could probably clean up another 15 seconds on top of that, but if I want to go much faster than that, I'll need to go for better and possibly risker strats. Not sure how much time (if any) I'll spend on it tomorrow, so I may have reached my final time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Yes, that's what I think too, I just think Bea forgot to mention the sub-stages in the rules, hence why I'm not taking any chance for now and asked NesFiend to post both of his runs.

Yeah, it's quite significant because you could just kill yourself quickly at the start of any stage and "beat" a guy who got all the way to the boss of the same stage; and what's more, this game actually numbers the bosses as if they were levels, so every single section of the game has a stage number, for example Joker is 5-3, while the boss right before him is 5-2, making it extremely easy to keep track of individual progress...

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it's quite significant because you could just kill yourself quickly at the start of any stage and "beat" a guy who got all the way to the boss of the same stage; and what's more, this game actually numbers the bosses as if they were levels, so every single section of the game has a stage number, for example Joker is 5-3, while the boss right before him is 5-2, making it extremely easy to keep track of individual progress...

True, just like GnG, Ninja_Gaiden. etc. It is how it should be ruled.,

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@BeaIank @guillavoie

Does 3-1 vs 3-2 make any difference in scoring? I dont want to update to a lower score. Also, 3 is stupidly difficult. I have really enjoyed the game though. 

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

My understanding is that it's distance first, then time.

It is distance first then lowest time, because the speed run rules don't account for sub levels, as you are expected to beat the game.
But, to make it fairer, I can change the time penalty for not beating a stage to a penalty for not beating a sub stage, since that rule change would have little to no impact right now.

7 hours ago, BeaIank said:

It is distance first then lowest time, because the speed run rules don't account for sub levels, as you are expected to beat the game.
But, to make it fairer, I can change the time penalty for not beating a stage to a penalty for not beating a sub stage, since that rule change would have little to no impact right now.

It probably only matters for fourth and fifth place really, since deafcode and I have no-death runs and I'm assuming bert will post one too... so the top three podium placings won't really be affected either way since they are strictly time...

10 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

In other news, I finally got a run on a decent pace through to the end. No clue if it's fast enough to beat Bert and Ernie, but I'm happy with it at least. I've had slightly faster runs die to Joker, but they were only ~15 seconds faster. I could probably clean up another 15 seconds on top of that, but if I want to go much faster than that, I'll need to go for better and possibly risker strats. Not sure how much time (if any) I'll spend on it tomorrow, so I may have reached my final time.

Are you using the "quick kill" strat for Firebug?  I can't get that one down so I'm cheesing him the slow way, which adds on almost a minute to my run.  If you've got Firebug figured out, you'll surely beat my time.  But either way, I've got a decently clean run outside of that one boss (and those damn jumping demons), and I plan on watching football all day, so I've already reached my final time as well...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

19 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Are you using the "quick kill" strat for Firebug?  I can't get that one down so I'm cheesing him the slow way, which adds on almost a minute to my run.  If you've got Firebug figured out, you'll surely beat my time.  But either way, I've got a decently clean run outside of that one boss (and those damn jumping demons), and I plan on watching football all day, so I've already reached my final time as well...

I definitely don't do the quick kill as I found it too risky. But it looks like I'm still doing it a bit faster than you. I kill him in 32 seconds in my run.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It probably only matters for fourth and fifth place really, since deafcode and I have no-death runs and I'm assuming bert will post one too... so the top three podium placings won't really be affected either way since they are strictly time...

It will be interesting to see what the final times are. I'm not sure that I would have finished the game even if I had all week to play. It's fairly tough.

41 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I definitely don't do the quick kill as I found it too risky. But it looks like I'm still doing it a bit faster than you. I kill him in 32 seconds in my run.

I just watched that section of my video and it took me 1:10 to kill firebug the guaranteed way 😞  so unless my run is substantially better than yours the rest of the time, you'll have my time beat...

And by the way, I had you pegged as a guy who can't game without code tricks, but man, no-deathing Batman (and doing it quickly) is no small feat, so that garners a whole new level of respect 🙂

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

And by the way, I had you pegged as a guy who can't game without code tricks, but man, no-deathing Batman (and doing it quickly) is no small feat, so that garners a whole new level of respect 🙂

Same. Still used save states and YouTube. Regardless a pretty nice run to no death Batman.