IGNORED

NES Shmups

Crabmaster2000

Never thought of paperboy as a shmup before, but it makes sense to me! If you changed the sprites from paperboy to a ship, the house targets to enemy ships/friendly ships, and the obstacles to asteroids, it would look an awful lot like a shmup with a change in perspective with a limited ammo gimmick. It just needs a nonsensical new name with lots of xs and zs like "Xytilaziax" and you have a proper NES shmup!

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

You can bypass enemies in any other shooter as well, with the exception of bosses, it's just much harder to do. 

I dunno if it's quite the same. In just about most shmups, offense is part of your defense. You can bypass all hazards in Paperboy and it really isn't necessary to throw a paper at them in most instances.

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Gloves gonna be mad you didn’t put abadox on the list. Shooter in my book

^Good mention. Abadox is certainly an shmup.

11 minutes ago, Shmup said:

This is the list I always like to look over when I want to play a new NES shmup:

http://nesartifacts.blogspot.com/p/nes-shmup-guide.html?m=1

A quick glance looks like you have all the licensed stuff 👍

This is awesome!! Thanks for that link. Love the sub-genres to include stuff like Solar Jetman and Cobra Triangle even

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

Balloon Fight is a series of non-scrolling single-screen levels with no shooting. It clearly shouldn't be here. I'd put it in whatever category you have Joust, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr.

If Galaga stays, Donkey Kong 3 probably has a good argument for being here too.

Not sure exactly how you're doing all your genre labels, but personally, I'd probably just boot all of the games I mentioned thus far to some kind of "old school arcade" genre with Pac-Man.

I don't have a particularly good idea for what to do with Little Mermaid other than "not here." I guess it's basically sort of like a platformer but being almost entirely underwater means there's barely any jumping.

Totally overlooked Donkey Kong 3, but your absolutely right. If Galaga and Millipede qualify I can't think of a reason Donkey Kong 3 shouldn't as well. 

Yeah Little Mermaid is a bit unusual compared to anything else. 

Here is my thoughts on dk3 vs Galaga.

cmon there’s no space ship your ammo isn’t bullets or lasers, the visual theme isn’t….it’s not a shooter damn it lol. Your not in a vessel of any kind with a gun mounted to it. Your Mario blowing a can off bug spray up a monkeys ass… same with paper boy. Gtfoh with those being shooters lol 😂 

6 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

*SNIP*

Something else?

Balloon Fight?

Bump n Jump?

Captain Skyhawk?

Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine?

Galaga?

Gyruss?

Iron Tank?

Jackal?

Knight Rider?

Mach Rider?

Millipede?

Paperboy?

Paperboy 2?

Raid on Bungeling Bay?

Roadblasters?

Ultimate Air Combat (bombing missions)

From my experience of this list I'd call these qualifying.
Captain Skyhawk -- it's a shooter, stage based, angled a little different like neogeo/genesis viewpoint
Galaga, Gyruss, and Millipede -- They're single screen shooters, never was a debate, so it fits.  I'd add DK3 to this too.
Raid on Bungling Bay -- 360 degree shooter both level plain and ground attack

Iron Tank/Jackal -- Maybe a lot harder to argue a little, where do you draw the line?  They're just ground based but on wheels, if these would count it could get muddy because then any run and gun stage based game would fit as 'shooter' too like POW, Heavy Barrel, Ikari Warriors trilogy, other vertical types, worse if you go horizontal then you're into Contra etc which are 100% not.

Racing games with shooting like Mach Rider, Knight RIder, Roadblasters definitely not, they're just car combat.  And Paperboy isn't shooting at all it's just paper delivery, you're not killing targets you're just making a route.

Balloon Fight is just joust basically, no shooting involved.  Same idea with Bump n Jump no shooting, scrolling in this sure, and bumping like again joust.

I think that 5 letter word is dumb as all get out, I just don't write it, it's lame, looks terrible, and is too vague anyway (so there.)

And should we be including Famicom on this?  Yeah it is the 8bit Nintendo, but the ecosystem was so much different there it's almost like its own platform so when NES was mentioned here I figured we were keeping domestic.  I would have instantly thrown out Parodius, Twinbee1+3(we got 2 chopped as Stinger) and Crisis Force which I own along with the superior release of Salamander too.