IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

I'll be continuing to play FDS games, but to mix it up I started this year's dw3 file. This time I'm going for all wizard party to give myself a little bit of a challenge. Grabbed the top 3 point scorers (at this moment) to come with me. Excluding nerdy, because he was in last year's party

20220116_194939.jpg

Edited by Khromak
Damn phone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well the first quest of Air Fortress is in the bag.  Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here...hopefully...

The seventh fortress was actually pretty simple...managed to run through it without issue the first time.  The eighth however, was bloody hell.  It was like level 7 was the calm before the storm that was 8.  The worst part was the absolute perfect timing you needed to get out in time...one of my runs I was a fraction of a second away from the escape pod.  @Dr. Morbis was right though, just stick with it and you'll get through it eventually.  But man, even getting through the first quest feels like an achievement!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well the first quest of Air Fortress is in the bag.  Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here...hopefully...

The seventh fortress was actually pretty simple...managed to run through it without issue the first time.  The eighth however, was bloody hell.  It was like level 7 was the calm before the storm that was 8.  The worst part was the absolute perfect timing you needed to get out in time...one of my runs I was a fraction of a second away from the escape pod.  @Dr. Morbis was right though, just stick with it and you'll get through it eventually.  But man, even getting through the first quest feels like an achievement!

I love that game! Beating it was one of my most memorable gaming experiences as a kid, and I enjoyed replaying it for the annual effort a few years back. There's nothing else in the NES library quite like it, or quite like the feeling of desperately trying to find/reach your escape pod in time.

This is also pretty awesome:

8 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Dumb question about 720 Degrees: Do you have to get four medals or even gold medals in class 4 or is it just enough to clear all four challenges? Because these were my results.

Nope, that's good enough for our purposes (since you advance no matter what for the other classes).

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 263/677 (bonus games - 34/100)

Two more levels down, and I'm gonna call it a night.  Level one was pretty much identical, just a few more enemies than before.  I just steamrolled it like I did the first time.  But level 2, that got dicey.  Still, I took my time, cleared my path, and got through it, although it took a couple tries.  Hopefully the rest goes down relatively painlessly.  I do have my doubts though...considering how levels 6 and 8 wrecked me for a bit, I feel like their repeats aren't gonna do me any favours either.

13 hours ago, Khromak said:

I'll be continuing to play FDS games, but to mix it up I started this year's dw3 file. This time I'm going for all wizard party to give myself a little bit of a challenge. Grabbed the top 3 point scorers (at this moment) to come with me. Excluding nerdy, because he was in last year's party

20220116_194939.jpg

This is probably as close as I'd ever get to playing through Dragon Warrior 3. I liked the first one, but I never got around to finishing the others.

49 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This is probably as close as I'd ever get to playing through Dragon Warrior 3. I liked the first one, but I never got around to finishing the others.

Bro...You just broke my heart.

The second game is a very nice improvement from the first one, a whole lot more variety in the combat, multiple characters, a lot more equipment, locations, story elements. The third game is a complete masterpiece, utter brilliance. The fourth would be a perfect game were it not for the AI control in the final chapter.

DW1 was great for its time, DW2, 3, and 4 are still amazing to this day.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Bro...You just broke my heart.

The second game is a very nice improvement from the first one, a whole lot more variety in the combat, multiple characters, a lot more equipment, locations, story elements. The third game is a complete masterpiece, utter brilliance. The fourth would be a perfect game were it not for the AI control in the final chapter.

DW1 was great for its time, DW2, 3, and 4 are still amazing to this day.

Im opposite Doug. Never really played the series until I was an adult. Started with 4 and it was pretty awesome. Then I tried 1 and it wasnt doing it. Need to try 2 and 3 at some point

26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Im opposite Doug. Never really played the series until I was an adult. Started with 4 and it was pretty awesome. Then I tried 1 and it wasnt doing it. Need to try 2 and 3 at some point

1 is a real slog, especially if you use a guide/know the game already. There are only like 5 things to do, so most of the game is just spent grinding. And with the very limited options in combat, you spent 98% of that game just hitting attack.

As I said above, 2 is much better because you get 3 characters, more useful spells and more mp, the enemies have more variety, there's a lot more steps to getting through the game, etc.

3 is a treasure, you can play it 100 different ways with different party setups of your choice, including changing jobs as many times as you want, making the job combinations endless, the replay value is incredible. And, of course, it has even more locations, items, quests, and interesting things to do. DW4 is excellent for its own reasons, but I can always go back and play DW3 again, it's (clearly) my favorite NES game.

All that to say, you should absolutely play the others in the series. Maybe do 1 just to say you beat it, but definitely play 2 and 3 because you'll enjoy them. 2 can be brutally difficult in spots though...The end is insane.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 265/677 (bonus games - 34/100)
1 hour ago, Khromak said:

1 is a real slog, especially if you use a guide/know the game already. There are only like 5 things to do, so most of the game is just spent grinding. And with the very limited options in combat, you spent 98% of that game just hitting attack.

As I said above, 2 is much better because you get 3 characters, more useful spells and more mp, the enemies have more variety, there's a lot more steps to getting through the game, etc.

3 is a treasure, you can play it 100 different ways with different party setups of your choice, including changing jobs as many times as you want, making the job combinations endless, the replay value is incredible. And, of course, it has even more locations, items, quests, and interesting things to do. DW4 is excellent for its own reasons, but I can always go back and play DW3 again, it's (clearly) my favorite NES game.

All that to say, you should absolutely play the others in the series. Maybe do 1 just to say you beat it, but definitely play 2 and 3 because you'll enjoy them. 2 can be brutally difficult in spots though...The end is insane.

I never had the patience as a kid and I don't have any time now. I owned all four DW games as a kid so I would like to finish them eventually. 

11 hours ago, Khromak said:

The third game is a complete masterpiece, utter brilliance.

I totally agree, if you're talking about the Super Famicom remake - it fixes the handful of things missing from the NES version, like the black background in battles, and is essentially the perfect DQ...

42 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Hoops - I'll say its underrated for the 500th time and no one will hear it. But it really is tremendous

I haven't played it in over 20 years, but I do remember it being pretty damn fun when I was younger.  Was never really into basketball though, so I didn't play it all that much, but it was definitely well done.

• Like 1

So I probably would've had Air Fortress beat today if I wasn't taking a mental health break (aka not getting out of bed for the bulk of the day).  That said, when the fog lifted, I knocked off fortresses 3 and 4, so progress is being made.  Only four more to go...including the two tough ones...oi...

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 268/677 (bonus games - 34/100)
5 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

What happened to the list of unbeaten games? The list of beaten games seems to be there twice.

@scaryice It would appear a mistake may have been made during the editing process 😛

Anyway, a bit of progress in Air Fortress, knocked off the fifth fortress.  Also started the next RPG in my queue...made some progress in Legend of the Ghost Lion.  Seems like a bit of an entry-level RPG, there's not really much to it...but that's not really a bad thing.  It's got a simple story, and although the directions are a bit vague at times, there's only ever a couple places you can go before making further progress, so it's tough to really get lost. 

Just beat Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. This was a first time clear for me and certainly a (mostly) pleasant surprise. I'd say it's slightly better than the other Flintstones game on the NES and plays pretty well for the most part. Having a second character with different abilities is also a welcome change of pace. However, the game still has a few blind jumps, the occasional unfair death trap and it's fairly short for a late NES game. Moreover, most of the bosses are real hit sponges, which can be a bit annoying at times. Still, a fairly fun game overall.

Flintstones Dinosaur Peak.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki