IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

All four loops?  Damn dude 😮

Sure. It's become one of my annual traditions. It might be 124 stages, but 70% of them can be beaten in a minute or less. It's a monotonous game, but it's enjoyable in its own way. There's very little difficulty in the later three loops of the game, because of how quickly you collect the powerups. I beat all four loops on one credit, and only fell to my last life of that first credit twice.

• Wow! 1

Progress Report:

Shingen the Ruler: Not much progress.  Fought a couple battles, and bought some troops, but I don't nearly have the numbers to take the neighbours out, nor do I have the levels required to walk over them.  I've been taking pot shots at one neighbour to keep him weaker while building levels, but it's a slow grind.  Thus, even though I did a LOT of work, I don't really have any new news.

Ultimate Air Combat: This, on the other hand, I've made headway.  Knocked off six more levels, and got my final plane upgrade, so now it's just the final four levels plus destroying Don Guano's headquarters (seriously, that's his name...good old Nintendo). So hopefully I'll knock this one out tomorrow so I can take on the next game that piques my interest.

9 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Progress Report:

Shingen the Ruler: Not much progress.  Fought a couple battles, and bought some troops, but I don't nearly have the numbers to take the neighbours out, nor do I have the levels required to walk over them.  I've been taking pot shots at one neighbour to keep him weaker while building levels, but it's a slow grind.  Thus, even though I did a LOT of work, I don't really have any new news.

Ultimate Air Combat: This, on the other hand, I've made headway.  Knocked off six more levels, and got my final plane upgrade, so now it's just the final four levels plus destroying Don Guano's headquarters (seriously, that's his name...good old Nintendo). So hopefully I'll knock this one out tomorrow so I can take on the next game that piques my interest.

"Don Guano." I love it.

Is the game guano too, or is it fun? I usually avoid that kind of game

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

"Don Guano." I love it.

Is the game guano too, or is it fun? I usually avoid that kind of game

It's not bad actually.  The dogfighting is only about half the game, the rest is an okay action game.  Neither segment is really great, but they're decent enough to be fun, and since you get a password after each level, you don't lose much progress upon dying.  I'd recommend trying it out for sure.  Definitely better than I was expecting it to be.

• Like 1

Don Guano's forces have been decimated, and Ultimate Air Combat is in the books.  All told, it's a pretty solid game.  Not spectacular, but solid.  The last stage was a bit anticlimactic, as the previous levels were pretty tough, and that one was one of the easiest in a while (beat it on my first attempt while barely taking damage).  But yeah, it's a decent game.  I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to try something a bit different from the norm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Don Guano's forces have been decimated, and Ultimate Air Combat is in the books.  All told, it's a pretty solid game.  Not spectacular, but solid.  The last stage was a bit anticlimactic, as the previous levels were pretty tough, and that one was one of the easiest in a while (beat it on my first attempt while barely taking damage).  But yeah, it's a decent game.  I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to try something a bit different from the norm.

Glad you found it as enjoyable as I did.  Truly one of the most 'forgotten' NES games on the system.

Began work on another childhood albatross and started making headway on Nightshade.  I should have it soon, I've relearned most of the fight mechanics, as one or two bad fights can completely break a run.  The ninjas still give me issues, but I've more or less got the Brits, the rats, and the Egyptian looking dudes figured out to where I can take minimal damage.  As for Shingen, it's more of the same really.  Just slowly building my forces while keeping my territories built up to withstand an invasion.  It's mostly just a war of attrition, but I'm gonna have to build my levels a LOT more than I have in order to capture enemy strongholds.  The command units deal too much damage when you're as far below in levels as I am. Still, I'm able to go through battles with minimal casualties.  The trick seems to be figuring out the best times to buy various units.  Beating this game is a near certainty, but it's gonna take a LOT of time to get there.

55 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Glad you found it as enjoyable as I did.  Truly one of the most 'forgotten' NES games on the system.

I agree.  The only real downside for me was the dogfights.  They're not bad, but there are certainly better examples on the NES of that style of gameplay.  If they had made it just the action sequences, I'm sure a) more people would talk about it (due to more people playing it), and b) it would've been a better game overall.  But as it is I still recommend it to anyone looking for something different to play.  I've rather enjoyed tackling some of these games this year.  Definitely missed participating in this. 

So I'm working my way through Nightshade, and then discover that the statue that I'm supposed to put a dome on seems to be missing, replaced by broken glass.  This leads me to assume that it's been stolen by Sutekh and moved somewhere.  Does anyone know where I can find it if it's missing from the Gallery?

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears that if you beat a boss before covering all the items, then you have to fight that boss again during the final section.  Guess that means I'm starting over...but at least I'm getting back into it, getting the flow of the game again.  Been way too long, especially for how good this game actually is!

Edited by the_wizard_666

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 399/677 (bonus games - 49/100)

Tonight's progress report:

Shingen the Ruler - I managed to take another province, giving me a total of four.  However, none are what I would consider to be "safe," so I'm not too confident in being able to hang onto them all.  That said, I've levelled my troops up fairly high, and have managed to increase my funds significantly...now if only the merchant would drop his prices so I could buy some cheaper troops...

For my other game...well, I managed to knock off two today that I thought would take a lot longer to pull off.  The third one eludes me though, as the game is much longer than anticipated.  Still, I'm making pretty good progress on Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode.  I wanted to do The Mafat Conspiracy because it's a third childhood memory that I haven't been able to knock off yet, but I thought about it, and it made more sense to knock the series off in sequence, due to them actually having a pretty good story.  I'm finding the enemies to be more annoying than anything, with only a handful that give me issues...but health recovers a bit with every kill, and there's a few spots where milking kills is easy enough to execute, so I haven't had any issues, aside from deciding to go to sleep mid game.  As it is, I just finished Chapter 6, so it'll probably fall sometime tomorrow.  Hopefully.

And with that, Duke Togo put a bullet through a brain in a jar, saving the world.  Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode is done.  Pretty solid game too, although it can be pretty cryptic at times.  Kinda makes me want to look into the anime though, as the storytelling was top notch as far as NES action games go.

• Like 2

The Golgo-13 games are solidly in the B-range for me in the NES catalog.

Both are ambitious games, boasting variety in gameplay and complex storytelling that are about as deep as you will find in any NES title. Catchy music, cool cutscenes, and Duke gets laid in both games! The Famicom version of Top Secret Episode even has nudity. (8-bitty titties!)

Both games also lack polish, however. The developers' ambitions seem to exceed their programming abilities. Konami seemed to be the only developer in the 8-bit era that had the muscle to create a multi-genre game that fired on all cylinders, and the developers behind the Golgo-13 games weren't in Konami's weight class. Both games also suffer from the kind of unsatisfying difficulty that usually comes from a subpar developer not adequately testing-and-tweaking their games before publishing them.

Top Secret Episode has fairly mediocre graphics overall. The human sprites are particularly bad. The 3D mazes turned me off to the game as a kid; I would only play the game long enough to see Duke fuck the first lady spy, as that happens before the first maze. If you don't have a map in the mazes, you don't have a chance, as everything looks the same. And a game with that much content should really have a password system.

The Mafat Conspiracy is much shorter, even with some padding tricks like repeatedly making Duke backtrack out of stages and mazes you've already played. The mazes are still too annoying to play blind; even though they're usually shorter and simpler than in Top Secret Episode, you are often put on a strict time limit to clear them. The developers overcompensated for the sniping being too easy in the first game by making it really frustrating and unintuitive here. If the wind is over 10 MPH (and it often is), you end up shooting practically at the edge of the screen to actually hit your target in the center. Just dumb! And there is some horrendously bad platforming in the last stronghold. That's where I lose 80% of my lives on any given playthrough.

• Like 1